Vega G2 - Volume setting

Hi Xuanqian

I have the Vega G2. I’m auditioning various Pre/Power combinations.
I currently have the Croft Micro 25R>Series 7R Monos.
When driving the Power Amps direct, there’s no problem but when using the Croft Pre , I’m finding that I need to turn the Vega’s volume setting to under 50. What is the best setting for the Vega?
Can the output be reduced?
Thank you
David

Hi David,
since I myself have a Vega G2, I would like to answer you.
The Vega G2 has a superb analogue volume control and therefore there is no risk of quality loss if the volume control is set to 50.
This is an essential difference to devices with digital volume control. With a digital volume control, it is better if it is at least 80, better to 100.
Peter

Hi Peter
Thanks for that ! Since posting my question , I’ve done the A/Bs and find that the Vega direct to Power Amps quite wonderful !
I can’t see the inclusion of a separate Pre necessary !

As you both have the Vega G2, I am wondering if you care to share your impressions. Specifically I am wondering how the Vega G2 compares to similarly priced DACs on the market. Without the addition of the Aries or Leo, is the Vega on its own a class leader? I have read a number of reviews, but I always prefer hearing from someone who actually paid for a unit, spent some time with it, etc. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Also quite curious is the headphone output is any good.
I received this feedback from a Roon forum user who compared the Vega and Chord Hugo 2…
“Having tried each they are both very good, the G2 has a more ‘analog’ sound which although I like on my main system I was not so impressed with on headphones, the Hugo2 is very impressive and still my preference for headphone listening, as a dac connected in my main system the G2 is better but by a very small margin, certainly not enough to justify the cost of changing. So I can say with certainty the G2 will be going back to the dealer and the Hugo2 will be staying, as an alternative I would suggest looking at Stax SR-009’s as for the cost of the Auralic they offer much more, the blow the G2 and the Hugo2 away.
For reference my main system is a Microrendu feeding Holo Spring L3 dac, Copland power amp and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution speakers, the Stax are connected via XLR to the Holo Spring dac. The Hugo2 was moved into this system for testing, the headphones were HiFi Man Edition X V2’s.”

Hi guerph
I’ve not heard the Hugo so I cannot comment ! I did audition the DAVE sometime ago and found it not to my liking.You possibly have answered the question yourself when stating the Vega is more “analog”
I wouldn’t have thought it would be difficult to find a Dealer who sells both and able to allow you to A/B both!
I did audition the Vega against some other high end DACs including Merging , T+A and Brinkmann , dCS etc. The stand alone Vega stood it’s ground with these higher costing products! The addition of the Leo takes the Vega to another level.
With previous DACs I always found some Digital Recording that just didn’t sound right. With the Vega, I’ve yet to find anything I dislike !
As for Headphones,I run the Meze Empyrean out of the Tron Antares Signature. My experience tells me that Amp/Headphone pairing is possibly more difficult than Amp/Speaker . The Meze/Tron hits my ‘sweet spot’ .The Meze also sounds very good out of the Vega. The Vega also drove the Susvaras well enough( until I sold them in as I preferred the Meze’s!)

Hi David:

The output level of VEGA G2 is 4.4V on both RCA and XLR. This is the level of a pre-amplifier rather than a source. A lot of pre-amplifier can not accept input signal at that high so it will clip the input of the pre-amplifier, that’s why you have to turn the volume of VEGA lower.

Since VEGA G2’s volume control is pure analog, you can safely run it to any level like 50 or 80.

Hi Xuanqian
Thanks for taking the time to answer!
I realise this is a ‘suck it and see’ scenario. I have!..and the results are excellent whatever configuration I try !!
Regards
David( a happy customer !!)

Hi Xuanqian!
What voltage out would volumesetting represent at:
25?
50?
75?

My preamp has a input sensitivity of 1,5 v
Into xlr.
Please let me know what volume would be preferalble for my preamp?

Best regards,
Ola

I dont have the mapping for now but I would say 1.5V is around 80

Hi again!
Since the software update that made it possible to turn of the volume and have settings like -6db or -12db ive been using that instead of the volumeknob to set a lesser voltage out from my Vega G2 into my preamp.
But since then ive also had some disstorsion issues that i never had before.
If i use this setting does the voltage get lower? or is it only when using the volumeknob?

Best regards