USB problem Aries G1 with McIntosh

Hi,
Bought a new G1 in september. The USB worked fine with my McIntosh C48 pre amp. I upgraded to FW6 beta 1 which worked flawlessly with USB. As i had to relocate som equipment, i turned everything off - and suddenly the USB stopped working. I have tried to downgrade to current firmware version with no effect. The strange part is that ithe G1 usb works with an old Argon Dac, but not with a brand new Project Dac Box…seems like a G1 compatibility problem. The dac of the C48 works fine, eg. with a MacBook. What do you suggest ? Br. Jan

Our G1/G2’s USB output do not work well with McIntosh C series device, I have heard several stories that C2600 burn out ARIES G2’s USB circuit within a few days. It appears the DAC is sending some strange signal that cause circuit overheating and burned out in a couple of days. I would never recommend to use Mcintosh’s USB with G series. I think most distributors have got the warning already.

I had a similar problem with my Mac C47, except the USB wouldn’t work at all with the Aries G1. I returned the C47 to my dealer and they eventually installed all new digital boards, plus new firmware. The USB then worked OK with the Aries, except that the output was about 12 dB lower than the output using a SPDIF coaxial input. I just used the coaxial for a while, but, of course, was not able to play any DSD over the coaxial. I just purchased the new Chord Qutest and it works quite well with the Aries over USB. I really like the fact that the output voltage is adjustable from Low, Medium, to High levels. The medium output works great with the Aries and then on to the Mac with RCA cables. I like the sound of the Mac DAC, but it’s USB input is flawed and before the board/firmware upgrades, even its optical and coaxial inputs were hit or miss for 24/192 resolution files. I love the quiet of the Mac’s analog section and also its phono section, but to me, the digital section is not in the same class as the rest of the preamp or even the Aries.

Hi,
The dealer has not mentioned this to me. Sounds very odd that it worked for months until the beta1 upgrade…by the way - if i use the HDD usb it works fine…
Seems strange to me that the problem should be related to DAC implementation as so many of your customers experience problems with various brands - all having the same symptoms !
Think I will ask the dealer to take it back and get a refund

Br,
Jan

Thanks for sharing your experience :wink:
However these problems should not be an issue on $2200 equipment. A lot of customers with various dacs (including myself) are having problems - which i find unacceptable.

Best regards
Jan

I can confirm problems with the Kii Control here, as the USB device for the Kii Three. The control did stop working several times and needed to be restarted. At the moment I am on coax, but just as you said, this does end with 192/24.
So after living 2 years with a flawless Aries Mini, I encountered 2 major problems with the G1 in the last 4 months. Second being the daily issue or loosing the WiFi signal (troubleshooted everything you might think off…).

Hello, have the same problem with my Auralic G1 at a McIntosh C47 and get in touch with support Germany! Unfortunately, even after many emails and do not call a solution yet! According to German support, however, a solution is being sought in China.

Don’t understand why nothing happens … €2199,- for a really good sounding streamer that unfortunately doesn’t work properly with USB from McIntosh.

By the way, my auralic mini worked without any problems on the McIntosh. And Additionally, more than USB was also connected to ssd, but it also no longer works on my G1.

My usb on the G1 is 2 months defective and there is no solution yet!

Hi Sigfried,
I am as frustrated as you are - a search on this community and google reveals that a lot of DAC’s apparently have problems with the G series.
I borrowed an old Argon Dac from a friend - it worked, and was found by the Aries instantly - but a brand new Project Pre Box S2 i borrowed from the hifi shop didn’t work - exactly the same symptoms as with the C48 built in DAC.
I am going to my dealer later today to get a replacement unit - i’ll let you know how it goes.
Br,
Jan

Hi team,
I had a G1 with the same issue by connecting to my Macintosh D-1100 and now with the new G2 the same applied.
I am also frustrated that Auralic seams to tell their customers that it is based on Macintosh, but all my other gear worked with the DACs.
Don’t know what to do as the dealer does not want to sent it again for repair as the issue won’t be fixed as now 2 device do no longer work ( USB port )

The replacement i got from the dealer this afternoon works with USB and the C48…:wink:
Have you by any chance participated in the version 6 beta test ?
My G1 USB stopped working some tIme after i installed the version 6, beta 1 - the only change i made…can be a coincidence, but who knows maybe not…

Hallo

Just received from Auralic Support the news that with the McIntosh DAC Series C and D the problem is to lie with McIntosh in the exchange of data and is disconnected to McIntosh DAC’s of the USB outcome of auralic G1 and also with G2. Get my board switched from auralic now, but with McIntosh the problem remains!

Actually, an indictment of an apparatus of this price range.

Would like to take the view and the actions of others who experience a McIntosh Dac with auralic G1 or G2.

I think it’s bad news for McIntosh to get a bad news of Auralic.

Hallo

Just received from Auralic Support the news that with the McIntosh DAC Series C and D the problem is to lie with McIntosh in the exchange of data and is disconnected to McIntosh DAC’s of the USB outcome of auralic G1 and also with G2. Get my board switched from auralic now, but with McIntosh the problem remains!

Actually, an indictment of an apparatus of this price range.

Would like to take the view and the actions of others who experience a McIntosh Dac with auralic G1 or G2.

I think it’s bad news for McIntosh to get a bad news of Auralic.

Hello,
Are there any news to this topic? When does the Auralic G1 finally work on a Mcintosh C52 / C47 DAC?
What about the new Mcintosh C49 / C53 does the Auralic G1 work here?
What do the gentlemen from China say ???

This problem is basically unfixable but we are working on solutions to avoid burn out our hardware at right moment. We have tested the new hardware on ARIES G2, the result is positive, it will soon to be introduced into production machine.

And for the old Aries G2 ? Do you plan to provide a hardware replacement or trade ?

Same question here - except mine is a G1

Hello,
when can I bring my G1 to the german sevice to exchange parts so that i can enjoy music with the Auralic G1 via my Mcintosh DAC.

We are not going to replace any hardware, the problem is due to stupid design at McIntosh design, not our side. What we are doing is to add extra protection circuit inside our G1/G2 so the McIntosh wont burn out things out.

How do I get the protection circuit in my Auralic G1?