Tidal masters with Aries mini

Sorry if this has been covered, I’m looking to get higher than 44.1 from the Aries Mini into my Marantz SA8005 via USB input.

Streaming tidal from my Android device, I have “Masters” displayed but only seeing 44.1 on the input to the Marantz.

All input appreciated.

0 Likes

You need to enable Aries Mini to decode MQA via ‘additional operations’ in your Lighting DS. Also you need upgrade to the latest firmware, I think it is 5.7 for now.

Not all android devices will output higher than 44.1/48kHz via OTG-USB (MQA decoded output is always 88.2/96kHz). Check your manufactures regarding on USB output to an external DAC.

1 Like

Sorry for late reply, since iOS can use masters now I tried to set that up.

I’m currently on ver. 5.8 for Lightnong DS, I have masters selected in Tidal, but my Marantz SA8005 is showing 44.1

Any thoughts?

0 Likes

If I look at my Lightning DS page under settings it shows version 5.3.

0 Likes

However under hardware setup, it shows ver. 5.8

0 Likes

5.3 is the Lightning DS version. Click on that field and you’ll see confirmation.

5.8 is the firmware version, as indicated by “Firmware Information”.

0 Likes

Ok, thanks.

I’m curious as to what may be wrong with my setup…maybe the 8005 will not decode MQA. Will the aries convert MQA to DSD and send via USB to the 8005 DAC?

Am I thinking this correctly?

0 Likes

You can play MQA with your aries for months now. The tidal update with mqa on ios is totally independent of auralic ecosystem.

For MQA : https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002283874-How-do-I-play-MQA-files-with-my-AURALiC-streaming-device-

0 Likes

I’m obviously missing something as I have the aries set to output all formats, but the 8005 is only receiving 44.1. If you can share your settings that would be great.

Thanks.

0 Likes

This is the supported sampling rates from the manual.

My output channel is the SA8005
MQA pass through is off
DSD to PCM is off, may need to be on if the DSD sampling rate is too high.

0 Likes