The new EQ with 6.0 update

Hello…I just joined this forum today…

I do not own a Aries G2…YET, but I was wanting to find out about the new EQ feature that came with the latest update.

My room is not good, and I ALWAYS need room correction, but it is time to stop with the PC and start listening with the heavy hitters. I am sure the Aries G2 is going to take me in that direction.

Is anyone using the new EQ? Thoughts? SQ? Does it need work?

Just looking for a little feedback. The G2 ticks ALL the boxes for me, including the EQ, and I’m hoping you guys like it. Let me know.

Thanks

I can say that EQ will degrade the original signal more or less. Actually any such processing will degrade the sound quality. However the benefit of getting rid of the base problem of the room can be more obvious and bring positive subjective image.

Please always remember that EQ is designed to resolve acoustic problem, not to adjust sound character, which should be done in other passive way.

Thanks for the reply Xuanqian.

I do realize that the EQ immediately makes the music “not bit perfect”. But if you heard it in my room, you would want to change it. That was why I was so happy to hear that you were going to implement a 20 band EQ with the 6.0 update.

It does not seem that too many people are using it yet, but how do you think it is working? Is it doing the magic you intended it to do?

This feature is a bit complicated and require quite some experience to use right. We use REW to measure the room acoustic then only apply change for the base below 500Hz.

Excuse my ignorance, but I was of the understanding that their would be a 20 band EQ with the 6.0 update.

Am I wrong, or was that plan just omitted from the update?

Hi flip49er
I have an Aries G1 running the 6.0 firmware and it does indeed have a 20 band parametric equaliser. This includes peak/dip, high pass, low pass, band pass and band stop functions. There also a speaker placement compensation function, which allows you to compensate for situations where the left and right speakers are not equidistant to your listening position.

The equaliser is structured very similarly to the one in Roon, which I have experimented with a fair bit. Surfice to say that it’s possible to manually adjust the band settings via trial and error listening and completely change the overall character of the sound. Doing it this way is not very scientific, but you might arrive at a sound you prefer given your particular room ‘issues’. While you can, to some extent, compensate for a rooms acoustic shortcomings by making manual adjustments in the parametric equalizer, ‘Room Correction’ is usually approached via the application of theoretical, scientifically derived correction algorithms, or sound measurement software.

The ‘classic’ approach to room correction, a la Linn for example, has been to focus on the low frequency end of the spectrum and apply a theoretical low frequency adjustment, simply based on the size, shape and building materials used in constructing the room. This has recently evolved to include adjustments for ambient room temperature, exact positioning for windows and doors etc, but ‘theoretical’ adjustments are applied in the same way.

Another approach is to use a microphone to measure sound at different points in the room and then process the readings with software tools, which can they apply corrections in specific frequency ranges to compensate for the rooms acoustic shortcomings.

This is all very clever stuff, and it can yield some very good results, but it’s probably best to start with ‘hardware’ verses software. By this I mean the actual physical layout of the room, distance of speakers from walls and corners, listening position, wall, floor and furniture treatments etc. To give you a couple of personal examples, I spent a lot of time fiddling with EQ filters and gain settings to overcome some high frequency harshness, only to eventually find that it was being caused because my speakers directly faced a picture window and high frequencies were being bounced back into the room and causing the distortion. drawing the curtains all but eliminated the problem, but that made it too dark during the day​:slightly_smiling_face:, so I installed a drop down, translucent cellular, acoustic blind, that I could use during the day time. Similarly, the right hand speaker of my set up is very close to the curved side of a large piano. This again was causing some unwanted acoustic reflections, which I was able to control by draping a woolen throw over the offending side of the piano! I probably need a better long term fix, but it works for now!:blush:. There are of course many other wall, floor and ceiling solutions available. It just depends what’s causing your poor acoustics.

So, I guess you can us EQ to ‘compensate’ for these problems (and I certainly found it fun to experiment with it!), but in the long run, I think it’s best to start with trying to identify and ‘eliminate’ the source of the problem first. Right now I’m only using a very small low frequency roll off in EQ to compensate for a slight bass heaviness in my current speakers

Not sure if any of that helps, but in any case have fun with trying the EQ out!:blush:

1 Like

Tried it :crazy_face:, and then cancelled everything :face_with_raised_eyebrow: since better sound without EQ.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Cbrow51…

Yes, I know that setting each individual band is tedious and time consuming. But, in my opinion, if that is what it takes to get it right then so be it. Right now running PC with Foobar. It has an EXCELLENT 32 band EQ add on. The thing is just killer!! But, you have to do each band individually. It took several months, but I have it perfect right now and have for quite some time. All those bases were covered long ago, as far as positioning from walls, curtains on windows, furniture reflections…Ect. Almost as tedious as the EQ adjustments, but once again, needed to be done.

You said that the EQ was much like ROON. I tried ROON and the EQ with it. Doing each individual band was virtually impossible. Moving one portion moved another. I don’t want that. Are you saying that the G2 EQ is the same way? Can I not move each of the 20 bands individually?

Hi flip49er

Ah, right!, ‘been there and done that’ then , as far as room treatments are concerned! :roll_eyes::persevere::blush:

I use foobar2000 on my iPhone, so that I can play flac files in my car. The sound system in the car leaves a lot to be desired, so I am using the Foobar2000 EQ function on the iPhone, to adjust for the acoustics and lousy speakers I have. I agree, the foobar2000 app is very simple and easy to use. Even has upscaling!!:slightly_smiling_face:

Getting back to the Aries G1, the equalizer is similar to Roon in that it lays out a graph where you can can depict the y axis range as +/- 12db or +/- 24db.

You then add points along the x axis, at each of the frequencies you want to adjust up or down. Each point you put down is placed in the middle of the frequency band that you want to adjust. You then specify the width of the band you want to adjust (the so called Q factor) and then specify the gain, + or -, in terms of dB’s.

You don’t seem to be able to drag and pull the points around graphically as you can in Roon, but like you, I agree that method has its own problems! When I was using Roon EQ, I tended to enter values for each adjustment rather than drag and drop the graphically.

I would think that you could just transcribe the same values you are currently using in foobar, into the Aries G1/2 EQ engine as a starting point.

As you say it is pretty tedious work, but I think it would work for you.

Chris Brown

Hi Flip49er

Forgot to ask you earlier…

How did you approach setting the required + / - gains across the frequency range using Foobar? In other words, how did you arrive at the direction and magnitude of the gain required for each of the 32 bands in the equaliser?

Pardon the pun, but…By Ear!

The add on EQ is exactly like the physical EQ’s they used to sell with Hi Fi gear. This one just happens to have 31 bands to play with at .1 db per settings +/- 12db. It has the option to set the gain automatically or manually.

Just to be clear, this is NOT the EQ that comes with Foobar. That EQ sucks! I am talking about the component add on. it is called : Graphic Equalizer 0.3.7

:laughing:. Yes, but I was more interested in any particular method you use.

I’m assuming you use some test tracks? Do you then listen to the various instruments/ vocals etc in turn and then adjust the frequency band(s) they fall in, up or down until you have the balance you want? Do you do that in any particular order, top end down or bottom end up for example, or baseline around a particular instrument or voice first and the work up and down from that? Or some other method??

I do have many test tracks. A lot of different resolutions as well as instruments playing. Vocals, I always use Sting and Norah Jones. A LOT of “SSSSS” sibilence in Stings vocals. It’s just the way he sings. Getting those tamed is a priority, but not always with the EQ.

I actually like to start in the mid range. Always the most susceptible to “issues”. Then do Bass, and Highs to match the mid changes. Then, once I have that down, then tweak around with Mid Bass.

Being able to make these Tweaks in .1 db intervals is just awesome. One of the reasons I love this particular EQ in Foobar. As I said, it took several months to get it here, but it is well worth it for me.

Knowing that…Does the EQ on the G2 have this capability?

Yes, the G1/G2 equalizer will allow you to do what you have done using foobar, with the caveat that it has less bands to juggle with, but allows you to vary the width of each band. You may not find it as easy to use as foobar, but I suspect that will largely just be a matter of time until you get comfortable using it.

My recommendation though would be to contact a reseller who will loan you a G1/G2 to try out before you commit to buying one. I used AudioT in Chandlers Ford, Hampshire, who have a G1 which you can borrow and try at home before committing. Very easy people to work with too.

Good luck with your decision!:slightly_smiling_face:

PS.

You may also be pleasantly surprised by the G1/G2 already cleaning the sound up for you a good deal, without applying any EQ. I certainly found that with my system, in that the direct USB feed from my old streamer into my DAC was electrically quite noisy, whereas the G1/G2 Tesla platform with its linear power supplies and femto clock eliminated most of not all the noise/distortion I had originally.

Always a learning curve with everything. Does not sound like it would take too long to get the hang of.

I am going to do just that. There is a dealer I know called Tweek Geek. He is an authorized Auralic dealer and offers in home demos. I will get a hold of him in the not too distant future and set that up.

I am VERY MUCH hoping that you are correct with that. My laptop is noisey and I am fully aware of that. I have taken measures to mitigate that, but I also know that is not enough.

Bottom line, get a G2 in my system and get to listening. Tweak if need be and listen some more. Only way I am ever going to know.

Thank you for speaking with me about this. I do appreciate your time. Take care Cbrow51 !

@Xuanqian will the EQ have any effect on the ‘bit-perfectness’ outside of the bands that are changed? More specifically: when correcting for base problems (below and around 100Hz), why would there be any change to the bitstream regarding other frequency ranges?

PS: subjectively I can hear the base problem improve a lot, while at the same time the whole spectrum sounds a bit less natural (voices especially). So in order to minimize placebo effect, I’d like to understand what’s actually happening to the other frequencies.

PPS: thanks so much for this awesome product!!!