Roon, G1, Mytek Brooklyn

Thanks. So what have you set up in Roon from the point of view of signal processing? What have you done inside the Aries and what sort of DAC settings have you made? I am keen to learn from others experience. The bulk of my listening is ripped CDs on the NAS. Sounds much like you

@jamesrc
Well, plenty of things to say about your questions. To make it simple.
I use ROON ROCK on a self build NUC I called FRANKENSTEIN, you can read about it in the « Café » items.
The only item I change in the ROON DSP settings is the Crossfeed filter when I listen with the cans. Otherwise I leave all the settings unchanged.

For the settings in the Aries G1 and the Mytek Brooklyn DAC it is somewhat different. I will give you mine in the following posts.

My settings in LDS

My ARIES G1 and my iPad connect wireless to a Cisco Wap150 which then goes Ethernet to the router and the NAS. Both device have a static IP address.
For security reasons I do not have activated in LDS to participate at the beta firmware versions.

@jamesrc

For the settings in the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC it’s a bit more complicated I need some more time to find them all again. Anyway Aries G1 and MYTEK are connected together by USB. Straight at the beginning I have added a TeddyPardo PSU to power the MYTEK Brooklyn DAC. I also have put the 4 jumpers inside the MYTEK to reduce the volume output.

I think we are on a similar wavelength here. So much help. Thank you very much. I waiting for the G1 to be delivered, but thought I would try to learn how to set it up.

At the moment I have Brooklyn DAC +. The trim control replaces the jumpers. Set at -4. SBooster PSU.

Plays into Prima Luna Dialogue with big (KT150) tubes. The DAC input is currently via a Bluenode1, to be replaced by the G1 on wifi.

Synology NAS with FLAC files and Tidal for exploring music, but I rather having the music under my roof. The wifi is industrial grade with fixed IPs for all the important stuff and never drops out or defaults. Have bought a Curious USB cable to connect the DAC and G1.

Looking forward to a new toy!

Not wanting to side track the discussion, which is all very interesting, could you please elaborate on “security reasons” with beta participation.

Thanks.

@SiHancox
May be the word security is not the right word my English is far to be perfect. I have chosen not to activate beta versions to avoid bugs and issues to occur in my device.

@jamesrc
Oh, your are waiting for your G1. So what you already can do is to create your music library with LDS and navigate a little in the app to get familiar with it.
Good luck

@Woodycatz

Thanks, understand, I was on the fence a little but wanted the bbc stream fix so just closed my eyes and enabled it.

I’ve just posted a new topic under Hi-Fi World and would appreciate any views you may have, especially since you also have Naim kit.

Maybe it can be interesting to have a look here :

@jamesrc

The settings in my MYTEK Brooklyn DAC are:

Input. USB
Volume. -50
Mute. Off
Output. Auto
Sync. Int
SDIF Rate. X256
MQA DÉCODER. ENBL
Phase. Pos
Main Balance. 0
Vol Control. DGTL
ByPass. On
USB Volume. DSBL
Analog Input. Line
Coax Function. SPDIF
DSD Filt BW. Auto
Disp Auto Off. DSBL
Display Bright. 1
Auto Return. DSBL
Diode Bright. 1
St-By D Bright. 1
Color. Green
Power On. Auto
Remote. Apple
Remote Address. 238
Device. INFO

Ouf, so many

Thank you.

I had read that. I am very happy with Roon at the moment, so thought I would sort that out first and then see what I think about Lightning DS

James

1 Like

You are right, trust your ears…

A vote from me on using Lighting DS verses Roon to get the best sound quality out of the G1 for native format FLAC files stored on my NAS.

I also prefer the SQ of these files when upscaled on the G, verses being upscaled by my Roon Core. This probably has something to do with the G1 algorithms being different to Roon and, possibly, the higher performance of the Teslar platform on the G1, compared to processing power of my current Roon Core machine

But, as another poster said, let YOUR ears be the judge! :slight_smile:

Have Fun!!

Thanks for the advice. Have you done this test on the latest firmware version?

It would be inconvenient if Lightning sounds better as I have just spent up on a Roon Nucleus, but so be it. Curious USB cable arrived, so just waiting for the postman to deliver the Aries.

So the device turned up, and I have had 3 days with it. Just fabulous. It is like a veil has been lifted from the streamed music. Highs crisp. Cymbals and drums, with really sharp attack. Bass has lost the fog. Gorgeous.

At the moment running it with Roon, which is completely painless. I have been playing with upsampling via Roon. the Mytek is being fed with a Curious USB and is showing 32 bit and 352kHz. So close to good vinyl. I realise now that the Bluenode was just “blurring” the edges of the music.

Happy camper here!

Sorry to go off topic, but in “upscale” do you mean the use of “resampler configuration” as below.

What’s the general benefit and why do you like it?

Again, sorry for asking but only just got a G1 and noticed the option under “Additional Operations” and wondered what it was for.

Hi Simon

Yes, the resampler menu that you have below.

I like to upsample some/most of the 16/44 CD rips that I have in my library. I find that upsampling these files tames the sometimes ‘edgy’ top end and makes them overall smoother, more analogue in nature and less fatiguing to listen too. I do however tend to leave any high res content I have or stream in its native, higher res format, rather than upsample to the highest res possible.

Regarding Lighting DS verses Roon, I seem to prefer the sound of files rendered through Lighting DS verses Roon, again because they appear, to my ears at least, more natural sounding and less digital in nature.

I guess it’s all a matter of personal taste though, so try it both ways and see which you prefer!:slightly_smiling_face:

Kind regards

Chris

Chris Brown

Tel: +44 7496 981027

E-mail: cbrown.brownassociates@gmail.com

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I’ll give upsampling a try on a few of my standard flacs and see how it compares, still have to try out the various filters as well, just using “Precise” at the moment which was the setting used on the Mini previously.

Hi Christie

Apologies for my tardy reply. I first experienced/noticed the difference in SQ when I got the G1 and was running the beta version of the 6.0 release. Since then I have upgraded firmware as it became available and I’m now running version 6.2.1.

I still hear the same SQ difference between using Roon and Lightning DS, with the latter always sounding more open and engaging than Roon, which seems/feels more compressed, heavier and less dynamic than when the G1 is doing the processing. Its not a huge difference, but I am always drawn to using Lightning DS verses Roon for any serious listening sessions.

I would recommend that you do some A/B comparisons yourself though. As they say ‘your results may vary!’ :slight_smile:

Let me know what you discover! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Chris