Qobuz 14.99 dollars in USA for hi res package

Hi all,
Just wondering what you all think of the above, considering the same package is £24.99 here in the UK!!!
I emailed Qobuz customer service 3 days ago, but strangely enough, no reply as of yet.
Perhaps Amazon Music HD is having an effect?

Personally, I believe this sort of one-sided pricing structure policy does nothing to encourage those sitting on the fence in the unfortunate countries that don’t benefit from such a reduction.

I’ll admit I’m currently finding it hard to justify this type of monthly subscription service anyway, largely due to how much it all adds up to over time, I realise others are different though. But if the cost was reduced it would get me reconsidering my stance.

I suppose at the end of the day it’s all down to market forces, and while people keep subscribing the price will remain high, that’s simply business today.

Long gone is the “old business” model, namely the more I sell the more I can reduce the price, but that’s just my view.

I must admit I find it really annoying. We in the UK get shafted constantly anyway…say, $24.99…USA, €24.99 in Europe and of course £24.99 in the UK!!! For the same streaming plan.
I’m with you in that I can’t warrant spending 25 quid a month atm, but a massive reduction such as Qobuz has given the American market, would probably get me to be a regular subscriber. Really annoyed at this.

I’ve had this reply fro Qobuz after I emailed them about this price reduction in the UK.

Dear customer,

Qobuz has launched the Studio Premier subscription in the United States for $14.99*.
This subscription is not yet available for other countries in which Qobuz operates.
This is a temporary situation, due to the ongoing negotiations with publishers in other countries.
Qobuz is working to harmonise its subscriptions and Studio Premier will be available in your country very soon.

Thank you for your confidence.

That’s interesting, but I bet we will never get offered the “dollar” price of £11.68

Adding VAT only takes it up to £14.01, but what’s the betting it’s set at…£14.99!

I really believe you have to vote with your feet in these circumstances, but will enough do it to make a difference?

200 000 subscribers and 25000 in US. They will close in 2 years …
And for the customers outside of the us for many years, they have to wait for the Studio Premier if they will have it one day …
Very strange strategy … il will focus on Europe where Amazon HD is not present yet to provide the studio premier offer instead of trying to fight Amazon in the US …

99% of the people who use streaming service doesn’t care of the HD quality of Qobuz …

Be interesting to see if/what they offer the UK. Not holding my breath though!

SiHancox, that’s my point exactly! Let’s see what, if anything, is offered over here

Very weird strategy indeed.

I wrote Qobuz and this was the reply:
support-help@qobuz.com

Wo 13-11-2019 12:08

Dear customer,

Qobuz has launched the Studio Premier subscription in the United States for $14.99*.
This subscription is not yet available for other countries in which Qobuz operates.
This is a temporary situation, due to the ongoing negotiations with publishers in other countries.
Qobuz is working to harmonise its subscriptions and Studio Premier will be available in your country very soon.

Thank you for your confidence.

Best regards

Just received an email from What Hi Fi re this Qobuz story.
Saying they’ve ditched mp3 altogether now and $14.99 in USA and £14.99 in UK for hi res package.
Fake news me thinks…defaults to the USA site when you choose UK!

1 Like

German Audio magazine also published an item confirming Qobuz is going for lossless streaming only.
No fake news I think. Rather good news!

Incredible! Did you check out amazon’s offer? What they call HD is mere 16/44.1. It‘s a hoax.

Yes jrav, good news indeed regarding the quality of streaming. I meant that the £14.99 price in the UK was fake.

They also have, (what they very weirdly describe as UHD), many hi res tracks/albums ie 24/96 and rather fewer 24/192.
I have it on trial atm.
The problem is, I have some decent kit, but Amazon won’t play wirelessly with it, unless I stream via Airplay, then as you state, I only get 16/44.
I have connected my laptop via HDMI to my non-music (AVR) amp, and this way 24/96 is possible. However this is a kinda compromise, as Amazon Music HD doesn’t support Wasapi in Windows 10, so it isn’t exclusive or bit-perfect.
At the moment, Amazon doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as Tidal.
Unless it addresses the wasapi issue and/or releases an API to Auralic and all the others, then unfortunately that is the way it’ll stay in my opinion.

Robert,

Do you consider the What HiFi report could of been preempting the reduction in Europe by having some exclusive inside story, if any group would have advanced notice it would probably be the magazines.

I’m a Uk Qobuz user and a big fan despite this new price discrepancy. However what’s to stop any user outside USA signing up for their deal using a VPN?

Let’s hope so Si. Just that they’ve come out with a “turkey” or two in the past…a price for Spotify HiFi comes to mind…as you know they never have had a hifi/uncompressed option.

I would like to think that now streaming has been around for a while people are a little more worldly wise and if the industry continue to play price games (as previously) they will come unstuck.

In my view it needs a big reaction to make these companies think twice, whether that will ever happen depends on whether we can forgo are fix of online music for a while.

I’m now down to converting may last 100 mp3’s to Flac and came back from shopping today with two cd’s for albums I’ve previously had trouble locating. Fifteen minutes with a coffee and they are now in LDS, the cost, less than £2 from the local charity shop!

1 Like

Check the page : https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14063680011

Ultra HD to 24/192 …