Problem read file 24bits 192khz with coaxial on Arie

Hello every body !

I hope someone will give me some answer to my trouble

A frend lent me the Arie LE for try against my bluesound node 2 (in wifi), and fastly i’ve heard the big différence and will bought a unit cause it’s impossible to go back to the node now.

I use the wifi from my NAS and use a coaxial from the Arie to my DAC (nuforce dac9). Everythings work very good, exept the files 24 bits / 192khz who’s not working, (i heard a pshiiiiiitt in the speaker), i try with HDD to usb of the Arie and coaxial to my dac and there is the same problem. It work only with a toslink cable but not with my coaxial

The files 24 bits /88-96 and 176 khz work too on the Arie,

It’s very strange because with the node 2 , the 196 khz it work find without problem even in wifi
I don’t understant because after all i read on the arie , he must support this type of files with coaxial.

So i’m lost because every thing is top only that. i don’t want change my cable coaxial because it’s a great cable and work with the node so he must work with the Arie too…

If someone could help me for this it will be wonderful. because that i’m still hesitate to order mine.

Thank you all

Hello!

Sorry I can’t offer any help.

However, I can confirm that I have exactly the same problems (with Aries Femto / digital coax cable). Songs with 192 khz (streamed with Qobuz Sublime+ to my AVM C9 amplifier) doesn’t play with Lightning DS (AVM C9 says “No Signal”), they play with the Qobuz-app for iOS with heavy interruptions and they play without any problems with the Qobuz-app for MacOS.

Can anyone help?

I think the problem is the DAC do not like the coaxial output of the ARIES, either because of lower than average output level of our ARIES streamer design or the coaxial cable.

1 Like

Hello Xuanqian,

Thanks for answering.

i think you’r right, it must be a trouble about both, coaxial output of the aries and the coaxial cable.

I try with a another RCA cable , and other coaxial cable and it work without problem.

like i said before, on the node 2 it work without problem with all coaxial cable.

My fetish coaxial cable is a old one who was made by David Magnan so i cannot use for 24 bit 192khz. But this cable is quite long , about 1.80 meters maybe it can have an influence on the signal ?

Anyway , what the conception of the Aries output coaxial level can give more than a normal output level on other products (more performance ) ? There is the same problème of output level coaxial on other product Auralic or is only with the Aries ?

Thanks advance

Hi Xuanqian,
thanks for your reply.
But that doesn’t explain, why my DAC only says “No Signal” when I try to stream music in 192khz with the Lightning DS-App. When I do so with the Qobuz-app from my MacBook it works properly. Could it be a problem with the Lightning DS-App (or the Qobuz integration into the App)?
BTW: I’m using the Oehlbach XXL Black Connection Digital (1 m long) cable.
http://www.oehlbach.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/257
Thanks and greetings
Ralf (from Germany)

are you saying that changing cable will let him play 24/192 files?

I did some additional testing:
I have downloaded a 24/192khz flac-file to my MacBook and sent it with Airplay to the Aries Femto. It played wonderful. Then I tried to play the same file with Lightning DS and my AVM C9 displays “No Input Signal”. Then I installed Flacbox on my iPhone and tried to play the same file from my phone again with this software. It played wonderful!
I tried again with Lightning DS - and “No Input Signal” appeared on the display. I have re-installed Lightning DS but without success.
In my opinion the problem MUST BE Lightning DS, not the DAC, not the cable and not Qobuz!! I don’t want to test it with a toslink-cable because I have paid 200 Euro for a digital-coax cable and my AVM C9 has the following specifications:
Input format dig in opt: SPDIF, linear PCM 33 kHz – 96 kHz / 16 – 24 bits
Input format dig in coax: SPDIF, linear PCM 33 kHz – 192 kHz / 16 – 24 bits
USB input: up to 48 kHz / 16 bits

As I mainly want to use the Lightning DS app for sending music to my Aries I look forward to your recommendation…

obviously it’s not the dac or cable or qobuz…
it was silly to say in thread earlier by one of the posters that it can be cable.

Just discovered this thread. I’m having the same issue. Using a high quality digital coax cable to connect my Aries G2 to my Anthem AVM 60 pre-amp. But my 192 files have to get converted to 96 ONLY when played thru the Lightning DS app. When I use Roon, 192 files play fine. So weird.
Any updates on this?

A minute ago I did the test with my new Aries G1. Connected it to my Kii Control with a cheap coax cable. 192/24 FLAC files are played back without any problems :slightly_smiling_face:

Robin

Yeah not for me. Pretty disappointed as I purchased the Moon Audio Silver Dragon digital coax cable. And it can’t handle native 192kHz music files without having to downsample to 96kHz. Might have to return it and try another cable.

Hi @Xuanqian-
Thanks for reply. So if I share the specs for my Anthem AVM 60 pre-amp, could you confirm this it is in fact related to the lower coaxial output level on the Aries G2 that is preventing 192 kHz music files from playing natively and not forcing me to downsample to 96 kHz?

Anthem AVM 60 Technical Specs (see below and attached screenshot)

Preamplifier (measured at XLR output)
Maximum Output (<0.1% THD) . . . . . . Frequency Response (2 Vrms output) Frequency Response, Analog-Direct (2 Vrms output). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . THD+N (2 Vrms output). . . . . . . . . . . . . . S/N Ratio (2 Vrms output, IEC-A filter)
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .

. . .
. . . . . . . . . .8.4 Vrms, subwoofer channel 9.9 Vrms . . . . . . . . . .10 Hz - 35 kHz (+0, -.25 dB)
. . . . . . . . . .10 Hz - 80 kHz (+0, -.25 dB) . . . . . . . . . .-95 dB
. . . . . . . . . .110 dB
. . . . . . . . . .60 W . . . . . . . . . .0.3 W . . . . . . . . . . 4.7 W . . . . . . . . . .8.2 W

Can you try with an optical cable if possible ?

The specs given by anthem has no informations about digital inputs :slight_smile:

This may help, but I’m not up to speed with all this digital output/input lark, you may be able to make something of it though, on first look the AVM60 appears to do 24/192 (or have I misread something).

https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/AVM-60_Datasheet.pdf

Sorry this wont help, but I have and Aries G2 and two Aries Femto and all play 192/24 files fine on coaxial cables. 2 different Dacs.

Nice catch :slight_smile: the one posted above does not contains useful informations. The data sheet is better !

Yes that’s the vexing thing… the AVM60 data sheet states that all digital inputs accept 192kHz. But yet, I can’t play 192 kHz music files.

I tend to think it might be what @Xuanqian asserted earlier:
quote=“Xuanqian, post:3, topic:1576, full:true”]
I think the problem is the DAC [inside the Anthem AVM60] does not like the coaxial output of the ARIES, either because of lower than average output level of our ARIES streamer design or the coaxial cable.
[/quote]

Seems plausible. So I guess there’s not much to do about it unless I get a new pre-amp. Don’t think there’s much of an audible difference between 96kHz and 192kHz anyway. At least that’s what I’m telling myself :smirk:

And optical ? No way ?

Excuse the daft question, but how do you listen by Roon, does that go via Aries>Coax>Anthem or is it networked differently.

Will try Optical tomorrow and report back.