LEO GX discussion and questions

Hi,
My set-up is different to that which you are building. I have the Roon core installed on a Mac mini. I’m not thinking of getting the Nucleus. Roon connects to the G2 via wi-fi. The only variation I could consider at the moment would be to connect the Mac mini to the G2 via ethernet, however the advice from this forum is that the wi-fi connection produces superior results. As a consequence, I’ve not even tried the ethernet connection.
Good luck with your system. I’m sure that with the quality of components you’re using it will be fabulous.
Regards
Grahame

Hi, Xuanqian

My CD transport also making use of the Vega G2 as a DAC, I wonder if the SQ will also be benefit from ugrade to Leo GX ?

Thank you

Yes, the sound quality upgrade is not relating to input channel, it is replacing DAC’s internal clock so it will work on anything.

I learnt that some atomic clock’s life span only last for a few years, what about Leo’s clock ? Can it be replaced when getting aged ?

The atomic clock has very long lifespan, it has been used on satellite which will be in service for over 20 years. It is indeed replaceable but I would not concern it at all.

Wow… I just got Leo gx. It sounds really good. Better than Vega by itself. This thing is no joke.

He said it makes you say wow. I’m can verify that this is true.

Hifi is frustrating man. Because it’s hard to k ow what to buy. This thing right here though is really really good.

Can I assume there is no user guide online for the LEO GX since there are no user settings to manage?

Yes, since the device do not have any operable menu or button, there is knowledge base for this product. However you can download a PDF version of user’s guide with the following link:

Hi guys, just received Leo GX today and have a quick question: given that the HDMI cable between Vega G2 and Leo GX only carries control signal with no audio related data, is using a normal HDMI cable sufficient or should I go with another AQ Diamond HDMI? Thanks for your assistance!

Hi

Normal cable supplied with Leo will be enough. No audio data is transmitted.

Wojtek

Thank you! Set up the Leo this morning and just started listening to it this afternoon. Although I AB tested the VL against V at my dealer before getting the Leo, the combo still “wow” me at home…happy listening!

3 Likes

I have the Aries G2 only, not the Vega 2. Would the Leo GX improve the SQ with the Aries only?

Hello SoundsGood. Welcome! Congrats on the Aries G2.

The Leo GX only works with the Vega G2. If you are interested in the Leo you might want to check out the Vega G2 first. My experience with the Auralic G2/GX stack started with the Aries G2 through another manufacturers dac. The Aries/Vega combination connected via Lightning Link thoroughly outperformed the Aries through my former dac.

1 Like

OK, got it. I have the Kii Three speakers that have the DAC built-in. The Aries G2 sounds better than the SOtM 200Neo streamer so I am happy with my set-up for now.
Thanks for the quick response.

I have owned the SOTM 200ultra, and now also owns the Aries and can confirm that Aries G2 easily outperforms the SOTM from a SQ point of view.

Well, just for fun I put the SOtM USBultra between the Aries G2 and Kii Three (DAC) and the SQ went up another notch. The SOtM has the switch mod so I benefit from the clock timing going to the modified Ethernet switch which feeds the Nucleus and Aries. Best sound ever.

Is the WOW factor everyone is talking about apply to basic Tidal streaming? I have the Vega G2 and only use it for Tidal streaming…I really can’t imagine the sound being any better than it already is…

…and what was your former DAC to give us an idea of the quantum of performance you allude to?

.sjb

I had a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II. My first Auralic component was the Aries G2 and connected to the DSD via USB was significantly better than the Bridge II. Larger soundstage in all dimensions with better location/isolation of instruments and vocals. It was more engaging musically.
When I replaced the DSD with the Vega G2 and Leo GX all the great improvements of the Aries were magnified. Truly holographic and immersive. I did go back and listen to the DSD after using the Vega/Leo and while it sounded warm (polite) it had a collapsed soundstage and was two dimensional in comparison. The PS Audio DSD is considered an A+ DAC according to Stereophile. They might want to consider an new category for the Auralic stack, I think it’s that good.

2 Likes

I’m now using Aries G2 via WiFi along with Leo and Vega G2. Without Leo, sound stage less precise and brighter sounding due to more jitter. With Leo, everything sounds so precise and real. Never heard cymbals this real.