Last 1m ethernet cable to streamer?

hi,

It is said that last part of the ethernet chain to streamer is important.

Good switch and short good ethernet cable to streamer seems to be best.

Any experience with that last "1m " ethernet cable?

Regards,

Gerard

Before I went wireless, I used Supra Cat8 cables. They are hand made, galvanic isolated and don’t break the bank.

I changed all my ethernet cables to the BlueJeans brand. Silly name. Great cables for no break the bank prices.

2 Likes

I changed to Audioquest Vodka and noticed huge step in sound quality.

If you can afford it in the last meter. Go from copper to light back to copper.
And… put a good power source on the (separated) “for audio purposes only” switch.

Yes, the last meter and an audiograde switch (ore two!) definitively improve sound quality!

@Pietro_Cozzi_Tinin,

Dear Pietro,

Please allow me to bother you for some advice.
I noticed that you wrote that a separate(d) audio switch is a ‘must have’ for audio streaming.

I do understand that this will make a difference if you use a local storage device (NAS or USB) to stream from. In such a setup, the source and the streamer are on a separate switch away from the internet and away from pc’s and other peripherals that might be connected to the modem/router.

However, if one streams from external sources like Qobuz or Tidal, I see no clear advantage to a separate swith since the bit stream passes through the modem/router anyway.
In my setup, the Aries is connected directly to the FritzBox modem/router (along with a pc and a gateway for home appliance on 2 other LAN ports). In my view, I do not see how a passive switch can add to the quality of the signal in this configuration. Please note that I have an Sbooster attached to the FritzBox and an AQ Vodka between the FritzBox and the Aries (1,5 meter). Both add significantly to the quality of the sound.

Since I gathered from other posts that you make use of Qobuz as well, I would like to ask if you have tried an A/B test with and without a separate switch when making use of Qobuz.

I do appreciate that it’s all a matter of ‘hearing is believing’, but some advice from others before going out and buy a switch could be helpful.

Thanks and best wishes,

Mark Demmink
NL

It’s never about improving sound in the network.
It’s always about not adding noise.
That’s what you do by routing trough a switch with noise avoiding/killing properties.
Hence the glass bridge where system noise cannot go.

2 Likes

+1 !

@Mark I agree, in your set up adding an additional switch may not make sense. If you were really looking to find improvement then, as was suggested, you could try to isolate your Aries through fiber optics. Assuming that your router has no fiber optic port, you would need two fiber media converters (FMC) and a run of compatible fiber optic cable. Of course you would also need two linear power supplies for the FMC’s. All of this can add up in cost. I chose this route by adding two Sonore opticalModules and fiber optic cable between my network switch in my music room and my Aries G2. I think it helps but it does increase complexity. Just something to consider.

@Pietro_Cozzi_Tinin,

Point taken Sir!
Would you be so kind as to divulge the make and model of your switch and glass bridge so I can do some research prior to a possible purchase?

Thanks,

Mark Demmink
NL

@robertD,

Thanks for your info. Doesn’t a good audio-grade switch provide galvanic isolation for less money? For instance a Bonn switch?

Best,

Mark Demmink
NL

You don’t really need a LPS on the FMC near the router, just at the streamer end. The noise from router end is dropped over the fiber.

It’s all Cisco and adds up to the price of an Arius G1.
One managed switch, two fiber optic ports and three S-Boosters.

You are invited to come and listen if you want.
I see you’re from The Netherlands.

I don’t know how much an audio grade switch typically costs. An FMC setup is typically ~$100. Two of these plus $20 worth of fiber cable.

Plus a linear power supply, if desired.

No point in making this a discussion.
Go listen. Trust your ears.

I do not really want to make this a discussion, it’s just that I’m eager to understand how a glass bridge actually works so I feel more confident trying one.

It seems to me that a glass bridge translates the binary music signal (square wave) into light pulses and then back into discrete electrical values again. I would think that any HF noise is analogue in character and therefore cannot pass the glass bridge (that only accepts electrical values of a defined value).

Am I right to assume this? If so, it’s the perfect solution for filtering the signal.

Mark Demmink
NL

That’s precisely my understanding.

But you must be sure that the optical to copper FMC connected to the streamer does not make and induce noise in the Ethernet cable :grinning: This is why a LPS is a good candidate for the last FMC.

But the FMC itself must be clean too.

If you can try WiFi too :grinning:

Btw . i use the Bonn switch now and a small piece of Blue Jeans to G1. Doubt if I shall upgrade the AQ Vodka.