Is a replacement for the Aries Mini planned?

Hi

I use the usb output to feed a Usb to i2s converter and dac- a Twisted Pear Amanero/Hermes/Rhea/Cronus feeding a ES9028 Buffalo III se Pro dac. The sound is truly excellent. The converter performs optical isolation and precision reclocking.

When the Mini fails or drops out of support my only Auralic option would be the Aries G1- over 4x the price, for, in the main, extra features that I already have- see above- or don’t need. Is a replacement for the Mini in the works?

Thanks

I’m loving the Aries Mini, it’s been about 4 weeks now and being new to streaming a bit of a learning curve, but what it does and how it does it, is for me the ideal one box streaming solution.

I can see in the foreseeable future a need will arise to go upmarket but would really like to do that without loosing the Mini’s convenience.

So, a mark 2, probably metal cased, better DAC, external aerials, better power supply and retaining user install ssd would I believe be a hit, yes price point would rise but I don’t think the ALTAIR is around any longer (or it’s sold out) so may be the new Mini could close that gap.

I wonder, if enough of us show interest in such a device could it give Xuanqian encouragement to take leap of faith.

I’m not sure how successful the current Mini has been for AURALiC, but I would like to believe it’s been one of its best products, a small box that just gets on with doing a good job without fuss is to me what tech should be all about!

I knew it was already asked…

1 Like

It’s the part “We have no plan to have Aries Mini 2, at least at similar price range” that gives a glimmer of hope.

That’s why I thought if the Mini 2 was aimed slightly upmarket it would allow the price point to be raised accordingly.

Anyhow, that answers the support aspect, nice find.

I talked about this a couple of times, people usually dont believe that we actually lose money by selling ARIES MINI in long term. This is a good product for technology demonstration but we just wont do it anymore. Our technology, hardware platform was designed for high performance audio, it has a minimum cost to build even for very entry level product. This means the final product can not be too cheap. If there is a Mini 2 then it probably wont be less than $1,000.

1 Like

Hi Xuanqian

I sorry, I did search for this topic but missed your earlier reply
I’m afraid. The Mini was extraordinary value for money, given its performance. I don’t doubt your margin was low!

My situation is a bit unusual- see above. I don’t need a dac, I use just the usb output, which I isolate and re-clock as I described. l don’t need a display either! But I am convinced by my experience so far that I would like to stick with Auralic long term. Though a diyer I’d prefer to avoid building my own streamer. So the jump from UKP 450 to UKP 1900 for the G1 is a bit daunting, particularly as I’m not sure- in my system that it would be a significant upgrade. Not because it isn’t hi-end, but because some features of the G1 seem redundant for me, as I already have them covered. A suitable streamer at the UKP 1000 mark would certainly interest me.

Thanks for everyones’ replies so far

Hi

I use the usb output to feed a Usb to i2s converter and dac- a Twisted Pear Amanero/Hermes/Rhea/Cronus feeding a ES9028 Buffalo III se Pro dac. The sound is truly excellent. The converter performs optical isolation and precision reclocking.

When the Mini fails or drops out of support my only Auralic option would be the Aries G1- over 4x the price, for, in the main, extra features that I already have- see above- or don’t need. Is a replacement for the Mini in the works?

Thanks
[/quote]

Only AURALiC can say if the business model for a proposed new product will be viable or not, and I can certainly believe that the margins on the existing Mini are not great (or even non existent) considering it’s performance.

It’s just the Mini to me is such a great concept and if a mark 2 was considered and pitched at £1000 to £1200 and came with some performance improvement, I for one would order one today.

With the current Mini disappearing from dealer shelves there is I believe now a gap for a new “starter” product, what better to use all that hard work expended on Mini 1 to create Mini 2.

That’s just my view though, and a small dream!

As always, thanks for your time.

PS. the Mini in my system.

2 Likes

I am sure there will be some more interesting thing coming out within next 3 or 4 years before the support go to the end for ARIES MINI. It still has a long way.

I have owned an Aries Mini for several years and have been running it with an Sbooster power supply the entire time. With the Sbooster power supply, the Mini sounds fantastic and punches above its weight. It sounds great when compared to other streamers in the $500 to $1500 price range that I have listened to.

I like the fact that I have only a single box with only two cables (power and USB) sitting on out in my living room/listening room and that I do not need to deal with a NAS. Simple is good. There are not a lot of options in that price range. I have not seen anything in that price range that I would want to buy to replace my Mini.

I would think that a $1200 to $1500 Auralic streamer with a DAC, hard drive capability, and an upgrade-able linear power supply would be a competitive product that would help dealers introduce customers to Auralic products. Not everyone wants to spend four grand on a streamer.

The audio market appears to be moving to active speakers. I think that a self contained Auralic streamer with hard drive capability in the above mentioned price range would be a great, ergonomically clean set up to go with active speakers or with an integrated amplifier. I would upgrade to that in a heartbeat.

Hi,
My present streamer sonos connect has bitten the dust, spoke to a local dealer & they recommend the Aries mini as a big step up. Having not heard of the product & my own research realised the item is discontinued, so any thoughts on this, would the firmware be updated or a replacement be due, I don’t want to purchase & find it obsolete :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Greetings. Have your questions not been answered in previous postings in this thread?

Not really, ru offering some advice

I’ve only recently purchased the Aries Mini, basically on the back of reviews and reading comments posted on various forums.

More than satisfied, in fact it surpasses my expectations with regards to operation and sound quality (and that’s standard with no external dac or power supply, so some room for future improvement should be possible).

With respect to the item now being discontinued, I believe @Xuanqian has addressed that concern (to my satisfaction anyhow) by basically committing to supporting the device for 5 years thereafter.

He even gave a hint that a replacement may arrive prior to that support ending, which considering how good the first attempt turned out I really hope comes true.

Forgot to mention, because the product is being discontinued you may pick one up at a discounted rate, I’ve seen the odd offer in the UK for £400 (usually they are £450), even seen the power supply at £200!

Hi,
Cheers for that, I suppose really I was hoping someone would push me into it. Just spoken to a dealer & he’s kindly posting one to me for a week home demo to help compare to the Sonos connect. Suppose that’s really my issue that it’s immediately superior to the Sonos, otherwise I’m just aswell buying another connect. I’ve read the reviews, impressive, can’t wait for the demo player.

Just to make your decision a little harder.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20799127/sonos-connect-refresh-fcc-filing-speakers

I really don’t believe the Mini will be found wanting when compared to the current Connect, but the rumours of a replacement may change that (or level the playing field).

Dilemma, my problem being my connect has given up the ghost, what to do, pull the trigger, wait & see if it’s a new connect :face_with_raised_eyebrow::flushed:

I would decide on the basis of what’s available at the “time” of comparison (ie. today), audio like that with computing will always have something new over the horizon, and if you wait, you could be waiting for ever.

Think you will be very impressed by the Mini, and don’t believe you will be sending it back (unless it’s for a new version).

Cheers for that, will post back my thoughts when it arrives :sunglasses:

I’ve been using Aries Mini coming 3 years with my Holo Audio Spring DAC and I’ve intention to upgrade to Aries G1. However, the price different is so significant it just put me off. The LDS software though has been stable since 5.8 the main disadvantage is limited to iOS.

I too have been using Roon ROCK running on a fanless quad core Pentium mini PC from ZOTAC. Now I’ve converted Aries Mini as endpoint for my bedroom listening. Having Roon in the center stage, I can playback multi-room capability as well control from multiple platform OS; iOS, Android and Windows. Sound quality is just as good as standalone Aries Mini used as a streamer.

Hi,
My toy arrived today, ur correct it’s sooo much better, but mean while my sonos connect has come back to life. Also I use a powe amp only & my turntable was hooked up to sonos, so it may mean a new integrated amp, talk about growing arms and legs :flushed: