iPhone/iPad media renderer device support in Lightning DS

As an Auralic hardware customer, I’d love to see OpenHome/UPnP/DLNA media renderer device support added for the iPhone/iPad. (i.e. Lightning DS device list drop-down would also include the iOS device).

Of course, I typically listen to music via the Auralic streamer connected to my system in the main listening room. I mostly play from my private FLAC collection stored on an internal SSD in the Auralic streamer. So my private collection is visible on my local network as a DLNA-based media server (Lightning Server).

My use case for feature request:

• Private listening via wireless headphones of my personal FLAC collection using the Lightning DS app anywhere within my local WIFI range (e.g. working in my garage, den or just lying in bed).

I currently use the 8Player Pro app on my iPhone to accomplish this (i.e. I select the DLNA media server for Lightning Server) But 8Player is a pretty basic player interface. My feature request would allow me to use the Lightning DS app, which has all the advanced player function I use when listening via my Auralic target device in my main listening room. I realize ROON has iOS target device support, but I don’t need or want to invest in ROON. The Auralic player is my preferred player interface.

I am not asking Auralic to support all DLNA based media servers, just their Lightning Server. So the iPhone/iPad device support via Lightning DS would only be for Auralic hardware owners.

If iOS target device support was added, users would get all the other iOS target support for free (Bluetooth, Chromecast, etc…)

Thanks for considering this request. It is mostly driven by the fact I prefer using the Lightning DS app over other players (ROON, 8Player, native TIDAL, native QOBUZ). And the fact my default mode is listening to my private FLAC collection indexed as a library on Lightning Server.

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the suggestion. Playing music on iPad is totally different comparing what Lightning DS is doing right now, it looks like Lightning DS is managing your music but it only shows the metadata and send control command to our streaming device. Lightning DS do not touch the physical files, it is the streaming device that have download and play the actual file. Playing any music on iPad or iPhone using Lightning DS means Lightning DS will be a player on iPad or iPhone so it is completely different from what Lightning DS is doing now. To achieve this function, it basically requires us to develop a brand new software.

In a related manner, I downloaded mconnect player for iOS as it has a better interface to play/queue music files from an UPnP server. But oddly, the Lightning DS server doesn’t show up right away in the server list like it does in 8Player. If I leave the mconnect app active, Lightning DS server eventually shows up in the mconnect server list. I’ve always had the “Lightning Server Configuration -> Always On” set to “On”. So it’s either some bug in mconnect or Lightning DS Server is doing something slightly different. My music is on an internal SSD in the Mini.

If I activate Media Server on my Linksys router (which has an attached USB drive containing a backup of my music files), that DLNA server shows up right away in mconnect server list. I don’t expect any response as this is not an mconnect support forum…

It’s just strange as all other DLNA clients I’ve looked at for iOS always recognize my Lightning Server DS DLNA server right away.

I too downloaded ‘mconnect player’ so I could stream my local music collection directly to my iPhone. My DLNA media server was also a Lightning Server indexed collection on an SSD drive in a Mini. The Lightning Server DLNA server would only show up randomly when using mconnect so I gave up on it. So there is either a bug in mconnect or something different in the way Auralic defines it’s DLNA server.

I ended up paying for Dropbox and synching my music collection with that cloud service (as mconnect supports Dropbox). So now I can listen to my music collection on my phone either at home or remotely via cellular network. Of course, I still typically stream to my stereo system via the Mini streamer when at home, but listening to my local collection via headphones with my phone is sometimes desirable.

I don’t pay for a music streaming service, paying for Dropbox remote access of my 800 album collection is the substitute.