Display off on a timer

Yet again I bring up a feature request regarding the automatic screen off setting. Currently both settings available are not to my liking. The automatic off setting turns off the screen way to fast while the always on function is really buggy. The latter will turn on the screen randomly unwanted when not even playing music.

Could you please implement a setting where you set a timer, I.e. after 15 minutes of inactivity? That way you can see what’s on the display while listening to music but not having a screen that turns on unwanted.

5 Likes

Fully agree that a display timer is required with selectable options to switch off only the display after pre-defined inactivity.

1 Like

I think I asked for this as well about a year ago.

Yes please.

.sjb

This feature is currently in early planning stage, we will update once we have some idea on how to imple it.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Xuanqian!

seems easy .if you can set it to switch off display after 6 secs any time setting should be ok. g1 aries streamer into g1 vega continues to be running smooth AES cable between seems to be better than standard co-axail … initially thought smooth was a tad better now precise is my choice of filters. sometimes have issues using usb . any ideas how to fix this with the two units I have

@Xuanqian Any update regarding the subject?

I am considering buying a G2 and there a number of things I assumed would be part of the product such as this. Its not make or break but would be nice to enjoy the screen when playing music and have it go off by itself when I’m done.

@Xuanqian any word? It has been almost half a year since you acknowledged it being in planning stage. Up until now it has been my only gripe with the device.

I only use Roon for playback and the Aries’s screen activation is unfortunately not limited to playing music. It also turns on when the Roon core performs a planned backup, reboots or any other core allocated action. The screen also turns on when the WiFi disconnects. Why it’s programmed this way is beyond my understanding. I don’t want to damage the screen by it being on without my knowledge or consent for reasons I can’t fathom.

We have not yet starting on this function.

Obviously I am not at all aware of what’s going on within your company and I am not going to suggest that I do. But one of the more visual striking design parts of your new generation of devices is IMO flawed. To me it looks like an easy fix and the responses you provide are hardly giving me reassurance that you take this issue serious. Again, not all of us want to use the auto off setting as it’s currently implemented.

total agree and we must not forget the price of unit too, we are not talking of a 500 pound aries mini

Hi @Xuanqian
Just checking to see if this display timer functionality will be in the next firmware update. It’s a big annoyance for a lot of users. Thank you.

1 Like

I totally agree! I would very much like to see the screen options implemented well. As said before its the only gripe I have with the device. For me it’s actually a frustrating subject. I simply cannot fathom why it hasn’t been improved already, as it looks like a really simple fix.

I really don’t care for Alexa or external cd drive support. It’s a network streamer… it only has to transport my data files to my DAC.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to remove.”

Even my cheap Squeezebox Touch has a “what to do when not playing” option… in my house it shows the clock.

My G2 streamer… not that clever… And the turn off display option in it is just stupid, since it goes dark/black after a few seconds after i select a song…

The hardware is excellent , but the software, not so much.

This is starting to become silly and annoying. Auralic used to be a company that took user feedback very serious. They added some great fixes and functionality requested on these boards… I guess succes and dollar signs hold sway eventually…

There are so many more important features in the pipeline under developing than just a timer. We prioritize our development task based on importance, not personal wellness.

It’s something that many system owners find annoying. You might want to pay some attention Xuanqian, there have been greater companies than Auralic that seized to matter because of “arrogance”. Considering the quality of these devices that would be a real shame.

The number of people posting on this community requesting for this timer is really smaller of what we get from all other channels, like email or facebook or feedback from dealer/distributors. Let’s say we have 10 people asking for this one? Well I can tell that we have about 300 people asking for HighResAudio streaming service integration, more than 200 people asking that we can switch input channel of our streaming inside Lightning DS App and I can not count how many of them asking for Amazon Music…Even the request for integrate a streaming service called ‘Idagio’ get more than this timer request.

Developing this timer is not as easy as you think, it requires a lot of consideration so it requests quite a lot of time to developing. If this is a simple feature without a lot of effort that we need to make, I will be happy to add it, but it is not. There is no way to judge what is “inactivity” if people use Roon or AirPlay or Bluetooth, the only way we can judge is when people use Lightning DS. How about radio? That’s unlimited time long, is that consider inactivity if people keep the unit play radio for a long time without touch it? There are a lot of logic inside this feature that need to be planned very carefully without introduce of confusion, especially we are talking about hundreds of thousands of people that will receive same firmware, it has to be done right.

Now you know why we are not even close to have this feature?