CD Playback with Optical drive via USB

Looks like someone just thought the same thing, we are working on this feature at right moment and for a while already.

1 Like

I would definitely be a part of testing it.
I think there is a huge amount potential in playing not “on the fly”.
That the disk drive is outside of your units makes vibration harder to influence the electronics too.
Could spoiler something about your ideas? :laughing:

It is a kind of ripping while playing process. But we have not yet considered how to deal the metadata side. We want to show metadata but we need access to some public database.

Personally I wouldn’t think metadata is as important if one is playing an actual CD, information like Track 1, Track 2 etc, should be enough if we have the CD insert in our hand.

Are you thinking of using a specific Auralic optical Cd reader or will any USB one do?

.sjb

I think any USB CD/DVD room should work. We got a couple of them from the market and they all worked.

1 Like

I really hope that it will not induce new bugs and a decrease of sound quality …

@Xuanqian: Hi there, any idea when this new feature is coming on line?

We don’t give dead timeline of any future development. Historical lessons told us we should never set a deadline for development, quality issue always happens if we rush to finish something. We will release it when we believe it is ready for public use.

1 Like

A healthy attitude indeed.
I’m crying now but I’ll wait…

Would be amazing if this were to be supported in the Aries Femto with its 1GB RAM.

See this post for reason why it may not work:

Imo: i would find it pretty unfair not to enable cd playback on old devices. I own a Femto Aries. Personally not to have all the track of disk in cache can not be an issue.
Process should be

1. start with CdDb like metadata gathering
  2. Read tracks to RAM up to a secure amount of RAM. For example 7 tracks.
    (Most of people runs cd from end to begining. Some skiping is applied.)
  3. After Track4 the already played/skipped track1 can be droped out of ram.
  4. The 8ths track can be Read to RAM.
  5. And so on.
    This logic works on all devices and adjusts itself to different amount of RAM in every device.
    Please do hard consideration!

:star_struck:

Don’t cry before you’re shot.
X made it clear he would try his best to make it happen for the older types too.

Not a future proof feature :slight_smile:

In the 9% you have the vinyl with more sales and revenue than CD

CD is dead and generally physical support. Only for video games (for the moment), even the 8K video format will not be physical …

A lot to think in this new decade … and maybe not a top priority feature regarding the integration of new streaming service or enhancement of the existing one. And of course more features for LDS server and client ! Because digital file are not dead and not count in those diagrams (only the paid and legal one …)

I would consider the 9% Physical Media market when looked at Worldwide is still worth having, however it’s split between Vinyl or Cd.

Vinyl though offers the best opportunity for returns due to it’s perceived niche position, albums can demand £30 plus compared to the usual £9.99 for a Album Download, and strangely the lower demand for Cd may ironically help in keeping there price lower.

It’s always amazed me that when products sells well the manufacturers nowadays see that as a green light to put prices up further to “milk” the situation, when in fact more sales should (used to) allow price reductions.

Because of this “reverse logic”, lower Cd sales has seen a general price reduction when compared to Album Downloads over the last few years and therefore adding Albums to your Streamer is often more economical than purchasing the files themselves.

How long that may last though is anyone’s guess, likewise will the increased take up of Streaming Services eventually have a similar impact on reducing Download prices as it had on Cd’s!

At the moment though I buy Cd’s and Rip to the Altair’s Ssd, it’s currently the cheaper option.

CD days are over … not a practical format, no playlist, bad aging … you can understand why manufacture do not care anymore about ce. It’s just for niche people. And it can be costly to handle niche people as always … :slight_smile:

Streaming is better or not ? Will see, but this time the quality and usability is here ! People with cd can rip them and play them with Auralic product. You still benefit the high SQ and the ease of use !
Waiting 5mn before listening music because of a ripping process is a no go for a lot of people when you can have the same quality and more flexibility for a price of a CD per month …

Statistics for the ignorati.
First take out all non-quality (under red book) downloads.
Then make a new chart on the percentages.
CD sales are declining but still huge.
Think of all people who go for CD’s when they’re done with the mediocre mp3 downloads.
CD is here to stay. Smaller in sales but never gone and/or over.
Especially for the people like us, seeking the high quality ones.

I just don’t see that the days of Cd are over (yet), not according to what’s still available through the various outlets, and remember, that’s exactly what was said about Lp’s when they had an even smaller market share.

Also as @Pietro_Cozzi_Tinin has stated, the Cd market is still massive even at it’s smaller percentage share and therefore still returns a cash flow worth having.

As to costs, what we need to remember is the charge to the purchaser usually has no bearing on production/distribution for this type of product, it’s simply set at what the market can stand, or they believe you will cough up.

This is just my view, but I see Cd becoming a “niche” product in the foreseeable future, it will probably be “reinvented” in some way to justify a higher price, after all, it what the music industry has always done from the very first Edison Cylinder’s.

Yep reinvented is the word ! I’m agree with that.

SACD rise like a phoenix !

The cost will be important too. For one or 2 cd per month, you have access to millions of tiltle in CD quality on all your devices (nomad or not). It will be difficult to beat for now :slight_smile:

The positive out of all this is whatever the Music industry decides to do, the customer may finally have the upper hand.

I’m sure they want to keep moving things around to enable charging the customer for yet another format, but as with Lp and to a lesser degree starting now with Cd, there’s a massive 2nd hand market growing up. New Secondhand Record (and Cd) Shops are popping up every week.

The negative for the industry, they get nothing out of it, and therefore I really feel that’s what’s helped to push them in to bringing back new Vinyl and might do something similar for Cd.

But at the moment this source of second hand Cd’s is great for the Streamer, quality usually doesn’t matter, the odd scratch being easily accommodated by the Ripping software, your reward for a bit of leg work and 5 mins at the computer, an Album for less than a pound!