CD Playback with Optical drive via USB

Could the Tesla Processor load a complete CD-Audio disk from an Optical drive which is connected via USB to Playback its content?
I mean not RIP the disk to a NAS or else just be able to Load it into RAM for playing it back.

(I dreamed about to buy a Solt drive of Teac or Apple and put it on my Aries Femto.
Then I could sell my CD Transport and could have maybe same or better Audio experience.)

Hi Yotzee,

I personally don’t use this option because I have an external DAC and I am using my CD transport to play via the DAC, not via my Femto. But why a DAC has to load the full disk prior to play?
I think the DAC is converting in real time with some buffering off coarse, but that’s all.
Regards,

Stefan

Not sure about the sound quality but for the convenience it seems, to me, pretty complicated. You have to wait minutes every time you load a cd for the rip part.

For the Aries Femto, it’s only output. For the VEGA G2 it’s an input but you may have a memory limitation (same thing for the Femto)(1GB of ram with some of them reserved by the system and os i suppose)

You can’t have both the CD transport and the Aries connected to your DAC ?

What it brings is the:

• asynchronous read of the disk (a CD transport has limitations)
  • oversampling of Auralic if you turn it on.

Buffering of the first track needs time only and then streaming to DAC with or without
oversampling could be started. (most of car Cd Drives and Head Units does the same)
The the further tracks have time to read.
If the whole CD is in RAM you can jump from track to track without any delay.

I think Ram should not be problem because a CD is about 800Mb and it not necessarily need to be oversampled at ones. The played track and the next one before the end of first (just like now if you play big files)

CD transport has limitations:

• synchronous read of the disk
  • no FEMTO wordclock on board.
  • Laser head and mechanics ages not depending on usage
  • Laser head and mechanics cost a lot to change

Solt drive of Teac or Apple are made for less money and with accurate read of cd-disk can be bitperfect. (If you know EAC you know what i am talking about.)

I have a transport to but not in quality level to the Femto Aries.
Lot of competitors do Riping disks first than let them be Played or streamed.
I do not like to do that way to be able to listen to a disk.
If you have your cd-s and your Auralic and this feature could work. You could sell your Transport and spend for something else :smile: Just like me.

Looks like someone just thought the same thing, we are working on this feature at right moment and for a while already.

1 Like

I would definitely be a part of testing it.
I think there is a huge amount potential in playing not “on the fly”.
That the disk drive is outside of your units makes vibration harder to influence the electronics too.
Could spoiler something about your ideas? :laughing:

It is a kind of ripping while playing process. But we have not yet considered how to deal the metadata side. We want to show metadata but we need access to some public database.