Can Vega G2 be seriously used without separate analog pre-amp

Hi, I briefly remember reading the first-gen Vega was not good to be used without another analog preamp. See https://darko.audio/2013/04/auralic-vega-review-part-2-pcm/

Does this sentiment changed with the new Vega G2?

I would like to do without purchasing an separate preamp if possible.

My idea is to get Vega G2 and go use XLR to go straight to Naim NAP 300 DR. Not sure if that setup is workable.

I think it depends on the gain of your amp. I have two amps I move between: a solid state First Watt J2 and an Inspire KT150 single ended pentode tube amp. The FW runs fine without a separate preamp. The Inspire definitely needs a preamp.

Yes I would be interested in a technical comment too. I am thinking of changing my current Krell integrated, which I leave set at around 75% and use the Vega 2 volume control, for a Krell power amp direct with XLR connections ?

Interested if anyone has tried this approach.

Bypassing a pre-amp and using the Volume control on Vega G2 is certainly worth considering, but the results are system dependent. So you just have to experiment (“listen”) to determine what works best for you.

Have fun!

1 Like

I’ve said that I have done this successfully. VEGA G2 by XLR to First Watt J2 (25wpc). I use vega volume control. Excellent results. 95db sensitive speakers though.

I have found that using my Moon 350P line stage preamp feeding my Moon monoblocks sounds a bit better than using the Vega G2’s built-in pre, but YMMV.

Thanks for the recommendation of those who had done this before, I have now done this with my Vega G2 XLR direct into Krell 402e. Sounds great and saves £10k on a pre-amp !
Definitely worth considering for those with few sources.

I’ve been doing some experimenting with XLR cables between my Vega G2 and my Aesthetix Atlas amp…I’ve tried Nordost Valhalla, Purist Audio Venustas, Audience Au24 and Kubala Sosna Emotion XLRs…The best cable to my ears is the KS Emotions. This is the only cable that I would say has the right combination of midrange smoothness, high frequency micro-detail, soundstage width, and bass performance…I think this cable is a bit more pronounced in the mid bass…so it may be a bit warmer than a completely neutral cable. The Emotion is the only cable that would make me consider removing my Aesthetix Calypso preamp from my system…If I keep the Calypso, I’d be using Valhalla between Vega G2 and my preamp…with KS Emotion between my amp and preamp.

Well it worked for me when I had my dealer’s G2 on loan. Playing (through balanced XLRs) into active ATC SCM 40s, the G2 sounded magnificent. Whether an analog preamp would improve things I don’t know, but I really like the idea of a minimalist system with such fine SQ. My own set is now on order.

Roger

I have exactly the same system G2 into ATC 40 actives, sounds sublime, and coming from an all NAIM system (252/300dr/NDX) ,
The Vega has a brilliant pre amp section so why bother with any other.

Agreed that the Vega G2 is a very competent preamp. The only reason I am using a PS Audio BHK Signature preamp with my setup is for synergy with my PS Audio BHK Monoblocks (all components are Tube/SS hybrid).

I have used the Vega G2 directly connected to a few other amps, and it sounded quite nice indeed.

1 Like

Running Vega G2 to feed my McIntosh MC 611 monos via XLR w/o any issues. Sounds great. Better than via the Devialet 440 monos I had before. Gain is more than sufficient. No need for any pre-amp in between. The Vega is already a good one. And the sound control is also good.

1 Like

Yes I recently dropped out pre-amp and upgraded power amp to Krell 402e, Atlas Mavros XLR and Tellurium ultra black cables. Direct from Vega G2 sounds fabulous. Only downside is limitations if you want to use other sources.

1 Like

Just got my G2. A real step up from my PS Audio Directstream junior! I have tried both direct connection to my mono blocks (PS Audio M700’s) and via my pre-amp (Primaluna Dialogue) and the Vega works very well in both set ups.

I use RCA connections (my pre is not balanced) and -6db volume reduction on the Vega.

I could live without the pre BUT i can control this on my ipad using my harmony remote. I’ve also had to ditch spotify premium in favour of Tidal. Spotify was a nightmare with the Vega.

I can run Tidal playlists via Lightening DS with no major lag due to buffering (imported with spotify playlists using soundiiz).

What a fantastic sound!