Can the end user install an SSD in an Aries G2?

If I buy an Aries G2 with no storage can I install an SSD myself to add internal storage. I thought I read somewhere that this is not supported and will void the warranty but I can’t find it anywhere so I thought I would ask here. I am looking for an informed answer here not a guess or uninformed opinion. Thanks.

@Xuanqian any response please?

https://www.tweekgeek.com/installation-of-the-ssd-on-aries-g2/

Thanks for the response. This says how to do it. The question I asked was am I allowed to do it? Does it void the warranty?

It would be silly to have it and not be allowed to access it. Anyways, I read a post where someone asked @Xuanqian and his answer was basically don’t use it as it may introduce noise and will also tax the processing power. So he did not really answer that question. He suggests using external drive for your music.

I agree it would be silly to not use the capability. I had thought that I read that the end user could not open the box and if they did the warranty would be voided. I’d love @Xuanqian to weigh in here. I want a definitive answer from Auralic.

I am curious as well. I took 40 minutes this morning on your behalf searching the web for any clues and only found that video. Hopefully some one will weigh in who actually owns an Aries G2

I really appreciate the time you put in. Thank you.

1 Like

I obtained an internal adapter kit direct from Auralic when I decided to put an SSD inside my Altair. Took me all of 15 minutes to add the hardware. Piece of cake, It’s basically the same process as adding a HD to a PC.

I can’t advise for the Aries G2, but like @cordobaman I also obtained the Altair G1 internal drive installation kit, but via my dealer, he actually had it sent direct from the importer to my home, took less than 15 minutes to fit.

I remember @Xuanqian did post that the kit was available at extra cost and if dealers didn’t stock them they could be requested from Auralic, but no mention that the user couldn’t fit, and the dealer was perfectly happy with that situation as well.

I see it no different to installing a drive in a PC, so as long as you don’t do anything silly there shouldn’t be an issue, but that’s just my take on it.

One final thought, the installation looks even easier on the Aries G2, almost like that for the Mini, my Altair G1 required the use of a cable as well as the cradle.

None of this answers your question though.

Thanks for the reply. I agree about the easy part. The actual installation should not be an issue for me. I just keep thinking I read somewhere that the dealer has to install the drive and that if the end user does it the warranty is voided. Not sure if I made that up in my head or if I actually read it some place. I really wish we could hear from @Xuanqian

I’ve seen the same, think it was an old help article posted several years back, not sure though what model it refers too or even the reason why, may be it required partial dismantling of some internals!

1 Like

Why not ask your Dealer?

Failing that read this…

1: I don’t actually have an Aries G2. I am asking for a friend that is not particularly computer savvy. I have an Aries G1 that will not accommodate the internal storage.

2: I read that thread you sent. Besides @Xuanqian saying that you should not use the internal storage it does not say if the storage is user installable without voiding the warranty. Funny that Auralic builds a box and charges a premium for the storage and then tells you to not use it. I personally use a NAS.

3: The question I asked was for people with ACTUAL knowledge to respond specifically to avoid answers like the one you sent. I don’t believe that your response answers the original question. But thanks anyway.

As usual your tone on this forum is not friendly to people who give up their time to try and help…

Firstly, to be accurate your question was “If I buy an Aries G2 with no storage can I install an SSD myself to add internal storage” , no mention of an imaginary friend, hence my first suggestion to chat with a Dealer.

Secondly, in the thread I bothered to find for you Xuanqian states “ARIES G2 has internal storage bay that allows you to install HDD or SSD by yourself. No special tool is required to add the storage. The current capacity is 2TB for internal storage and we are moving the limitation to 16TB by next firmware release. The maximum 2.5TB HDD you can get from the market today is 5TB. I think SSD will be better but it is way more expensive.”

As per Xuanqian words…ARIES G2 has internal storage bay that allows you to install HDD or SSD by yourself. No special tool is required to add the storage. The current capacity is 2TB for internal storage and we are moving the limitation to 16TB by next firmware release. The maximum 2.5TB HDD you can get from the market today is 5TB. I think SSD will be better but it is way more expensive.
[/quote]

1 Like

It can be done at your own home but we normally recommend customer to ship the HDD to us for initialization.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Since 10 days I have a new Aries G2!
All the Problems are solved, no more power problems.
I am realy happy! :grinning:
The 4 TB EVO 860SSD works without any problem and the sound is what I expected.
This is what I wrote 1year ago and I still can confirm it.