Best Ethernet Cable to Stream Vega G1?

I just replaced my standard CAT6 cable with a Supra CAT8. Immediately brightened the sound with sparkle and clarity. I’m just not sure yet if I prefer the sound as it is on the verge of a treble edge and overbrightness. I will give the cable a good 20-30 hrs of break in before making final judgement. Anyone else have an ethernet cable to recommend with our Auralic gear?

AudioQuest Ethernet cable works quite well and we have used then on several trade shows before with our other partners.

1 Like

Thanks Xuanqian. I’ve been considering trying the AQ Vodka.

1 Like

Or try Wi-Fi !

Wifi is significantly less robust when it comes to both data quality and transfer speed. It isn’t even close. Convenience is the only possible benefit for wifi compared to ethernet cable.

I use the AQ Carbon with Telegaertners between modem/router/switch/server (Roon Nucleus) and the Aries G2.
Keces PSU’s (P3 and P8) everywere and I’m: happy, happy, happy!

Or maybe physical isolation. There has to be a reason Auralic generally recommends it.

I’ve 0 issue with wifi and DSD512 or 384 PCM … You do not need gigabit speed for streaming music even for 4K blu-ray (100mbs peaks).

I’va a fiber connexion to my house from y internet provider (1Gbs download/300 Mbs upload). My wifi is limited to 866Mbs, and at the position of the aries it can handle 533mbs … half of a gigabit ethernet connexion, stable and rock solid for years (Intel Nuc, after that Auralic Aries Femto, and now a G2). More than 5 years with Airport Express and Time Capsule without a glitch … And data quality … we are talking about data with error correction, so the quality is here … or you will have a lot of issues when downloading files or streaming movie …

Although I use wifi for my Aries G1 and Altair, I use Audioquest Cinnamon Ethernet cable for all the wiring to my modem, router and switch and noticed a definite step up in SQ when I made the change from using generic Ethernet cables.

Hummm how can you explain that if your altair and aries are not connected with ethernet cable ? They do not send electrical noise in DAC. You have an another equipment in your system connected to the LAN ?

I do not think that only a wire between a nas and a router can change sound that much if your streamer use wifi … or maybe the impact is more related to noise polution in mains and not related to ethernet connectivity itself.

I only recently purchased the Aries and Altair. Before that, I had a Bluesound Node that was attached to the network using Audioquest Ethernet cable, plus my Marantz surround processor, which also streams music, is connected using Audioquest Ethernet cable and my Oppo Blu-ray/Universal player is connected using Audioquest cable, so I have many devices which all improved their sound quality using the better Ethernet cable. Finally, another manufacturer did a study a number of years ago on the typical generic Ethernet cables and found that very few met the minimum specifications which they are “required” to meet to be called Cat 5 or Cat 6 cables. The AQ cables are Cat 7, so they far exceed those specifications.

VSpecification for cat 5 or other are mainly for the shield and the maximum speed you can achieve. At a time, some cable sell for 1gbs was not able to handle that. We have the same with 10gbs.

In a very polluted environment (like a datacenter) it matters a lot when you treat billions of transactions per seconds (aggegated).

In house, it less polluted i hope. It still have pollution but not so much. And i’m pretty sure that Amazon and Microsoft (for AWS or AZURE) are not using Audioquest ethernet cables in their datacenter.

My point is if you streamer are not connected to ethernet and use wifi and not other audio system use ethernet (like DAC or amplifier), i can’t understand why a cable between your nas or router improve things :slight_smile:

But if you have other stuff connected to ethernet when your listen music with the Aries, it can have an inpact (maybe, because a lot of audiophile like findings problems that do not really exists sometimes :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I am not here to debate the issue. The OP asked for a recommendation of a good brand of Ethernet cable. The President of Auralic stated they have used the Audioquest for their demo rooms at a number of trade shows. I stated I used Audioquest Cinnamon Ethernet cables in two of my systems, including my main home theater/audio system and am happy with the results. I think I addressed the question of the OP. You are free to use generic cables or whatever brand you find works best for your system. I currently use Wi Fi for my Aries G1 and Altair, mostly based on the recommendation of Auralic. I suspect that Wi Fi will work well with these streamers for many users, but some may feel the need to use Ethernet due to the layout of their homes or configuration of their system or generally poor Wi Fi speeds. In those cases, I recommend a quality Ethernet cable such as the Audioquest since many of the other cable companies that make speaker cables and/or interconnects do not make Ethernet cables.

Wireworld Platinum starlight!

I also stream WiFi to Aries Femto via USB to Vega G2. Awaiting arrival of Aries G2 to implement Lightning Link between Auralic components. My Aries streamers WiFi from router which is connected to NAS drive via AQ Diamond. Friends and I did blind demo’d using generic, AQ Vodka and AQ Diamond. Diamond won by huge margin. Solid silver conductors beat solid copper easily, and the AQ DBS gadget thing on Diamond is not a feature on Vodka.

The other brand do not provide ethernet cable for maybe good reasons no ?

And sorry but Audioquest sell CAT 7 that can not pass the CAT 7 … The Telegartner plug is only certified for CAT 6a …

The provide only CAT 8 (for 40Gbs, so totally useless in home environment, like 10Gbs for the moment) : https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/catalogue/datavoice/?IdTreeGroup=3000272854&IdProduct=261803

So let me have a little doubt about that :wink:

I’ve did the same thing : A test with friends : Swap between Wifi and Ethernet Cable with my Aries G2.

People find differences between those … But guess what, i’ve always use Wifi during the test. The Ethernet cable was not connected to the router … 30K$ system in a dedicated room with acoustic treatment. I’ve told them that we will compare wifi vs ethernet and they find differences :slight_smile:
An another test and this time, i didn’t tell them what I’ve the change to avoid psychological blocker and assumptions. And guess what, again i didn’t change anything at all too :slight_smile: (yes i know i’m a little bastard :)). And this time, not so much difference ! Same tracks and same system, same sources etc …
Just some thoughts. When i buy an expensive cable, i always find a difference if i paid for it. When someone borrow me a cable, not so much … Maybe it’s only me :slight_smile:

If the Aries is connected to wifi, how a Ethernet Cable can improve sound between your router and your NAS ? In this case it’s pure network communication … Error correction etc etc …
And with Aries G2, the stream is buffered, so no need of the network anymore when playing …

It’s like saying that a better USB cable will provide better photos with your printer …
1000€ in an ethernet cable will never provide you a difference that a change of gear. With 2 cables you can increase by 2K one of your component (amplifier, preamp etc …). The difference will be more noticeable. Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

If you have improvement in sound, the issue is elsewhere, maybe not the ethernet cable itself. Perhaps a better filtering on the AC to avoid electrical noise in the main.

I’m not saying that you didn’t listen difference. I can imagine you did. But i would like a true scientific explanation some day … Because in hifi you have a lot of voodoo and psychologic stuff …

I will provide ethernet cable blessed by a preacher that will ensure that all electrons will go in the same direction without collisions, with a new kind of copper coming from a farm where Wagyu beef are used to dig the earth to find it. And virgin girls will clean the copper with their bare hand and saliva.
Trust me, the best of the world (just a little piece of humor for this week-end :wink: )

The topic of WiFi vs Ethernet was already addressed by Auralic’s owner and the advice is WiFi since Ethernet can introduce noise into the component. My experience in auditioning Ethernet cables was to share my story and answer the original poster on which Ethernet cable was best (in my experience and in my system).

It’s interesting indeed and you have to trust your ears. My buddies with PHDs in electrical engineering can’t explain scientifically why things like an Ethernet cable from NAS to router sound differently when all other variables stayed the same. But they were part of the demo and we all came to the same conclusion in noticing the differences in sound quality and the order of their ranking. They too have stopped trying to explain things affecting sound quality scientifically since becoming audiophiles.

Streaming from WiFi via pulling data from NAS, the only link is the Ethernet cable and to our ears, each Ethernet cable tested made a distinct difference. Any of these cables including generic is more than sufficient to transfer DATA perfectly, especially given they are all less than 1.5M long. But each sounds very differently audio wise. Besides the generic, the other cables were borrowed from the Cable Company’s library. I certainly would not have spent $1k on an Ethernet cable if I didn’t hear a significant enough difference.

I consider myself to have an alright system worth close to $50k, in a dedicated room with sound treatments. It is revealing enough that every change i make to the system is noticeable. In audio, I have thrown in the towel through my comparisons to realize that audio signal is much higher demanding than data, and sound quality differences in cables does not always make sense.

A power cord change is also substantial in my system. Why when they all just deliver power to the component? Scientifically, we all can use the stock cord if we just need the cord to provide power. Also why would a linear power supply powering a router make a huge difference when you are pulling data from the router via WiFi? I don’t know but it makes a huge difference.

At the end of the day, we all have to be happy and satisfied with the sound of our systems. For those that can’t detect a difference, consider yourself lucky and stick with generic stock cords or any Ethernet cable that can handle the data transfer rate. But do yourself a favor and audition and compare before drawing an opinion.

I did the test and comparison :slight_smile: with guys with PHD too in various domain of micro electronic, chip designer in ARM etc …
With different cable brand, diy cable etc … with filter, isolator and so on. And extra fancy OXCO clocked switch.

And why an LPS on a network switch improve sound quality ? Because of the noise rejection of the wall mart power supply in your mains that can affect other components. A schaffner filter can isolate your component from the noise of the main and blocked noise from your component to return in the main.
You can try it, it cost just a dozen of $.

A power cable (or interconnect) can change things cause to shield. You must never have low voltage and high voltage cable too much close. The high voltage cable will induce bad stuff in your low voltage cable.
This is why you never put power cord near ethernet cable to ensure maximum speed.

And a cable will never improve sound … it will just block some noise/pollution.

And when you are using network, datas are treated as the same way … music or zip file or videos, it doesn’t matter, TCP protocol is the same for every kind of data.

Maybe the ethernet cable can reduce the noise coming from components, and to the mains at the end ? But why no manufacturer measure it and put some proof of it ? For them i think it’s pretty easy to measure … this is the only thing that can have a valuable explaination.

Since I’ve gotten my Vega G2 the last two months, I’ve been experimenting with Ethernet cables. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that when you swap out a cable, the sounds tends to be rather harsh at first; you need to let the cable “settle” for at least 2 to 3 days (preferably a week, but I didn’t have the time for this since my dealer lent them out to me for a week) before doing a critical listening session. I’ve tried Audioquest Cinnamon, Vodka, as well as Diamond…and I ended up buying the Diamond. I was so taken back by the obvious differences in the cables that I also decided to purchase the Cardas Clear Ethernet cable for my Apple TV connection as well…Being 1/3rd the price of the Diamond, I didn’t have huge expectations for this cable (thus, the use for my Apple TV). Of course, I had to try it on my Vega G2 as well…and all I can say is WOW!..I would say that the Cardas cable bests the Diamond in several areas…soundstage width, front to back depth, treble micro detail…are all far superior to the Diamond. It’s not a perfect cable though; the Diamond has a definite analog quality about it…I attribute this to their insulation materials and the DBS noise dissipation system; there is an elegant finesse to the sound with the Diamond. With that said, I’m going to burn in the Cardas for a few more days before deciding if it’s going to be a part of my main stereo system …or if it will end up on my Apple TV. The Vodka is also an excellent cable…however, the Cardas is better…MUCH better…Just my two cents on Ethernet cables…