Aries G1 (and G2) Roon Core

One of my gripes about Roon is that I have to have my desktop computer on all the time to run as a Core.
I’m not interested in adding more hardware. Is there any thought of giving the Aries Roon Core capabilities?

0 Likes

The hardware isn’t powerful enough to run core.

0 Likes

Like @DrTone says, it’s not powerful enough.
I do see you don’t really want more hardware, but have you considered Roon ROCK on a low Power NUC? It’s really a excellent appliance. Draws very little power, makes almost no noise and does not demand any maintenance. And of course provides a powerful Roon Core-function.

If you like to, you can power on/off with the button (or off via the webgui) in a few seconds.

0 Likes

sorry I was sidelined with other things :grinning:

if I were to acquire a Roon Nucleus (or+), could I run that straight into my dac or will I still need to use my G1 as a Roon endpoint? Can anyone comment on the SQ difference between these two scenarios?

0 Likes

For best SQ/sound you should run the Roon Nucleus only as a core with a wired ethernet connection to you router, and from the router wired ethernet, or the best is a strong wi-fi signal to the Aries G1 set up as a RAAT endpoint with the final sound as a digital connection into the dac from the Aries G1.

I will not recommend using the usb digital output on the Nucleus core direct into a dac if you looking for the best SQ.

0 Likes

Or you could run the NUC via ethernet to a switch and from the switch via ethernet directly into a streaming-capable dac like the Vega G1 or G2. The Vega G1 and G2 are capable Roon endpoints.

I currently run my system like this but into an Altair via ethernet. A network Dac to replace the Altair is next on the list, but the system sounds pretty good as is.

0 Likes

Hopefully not too impudent to ask here but are there any streamers / network bridges that can also function as a Roon core device?

0 Likes

You can consider Roon Nucleus as streamer that run Roon Core server.

0 Likes

I’m doing exactly that even though it will mean an extra box.

0 Likes