Aries Femto is freezing up

Thanks! I just ordered this https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07VNV784S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a 8260NGW.
Let’s hope it works. And, maybe, this card won’t degrade with time.
I’ll let you know.
Cheers
Marco

1 Like

Well, the adapter and the 8260NGW card fit inside the ARIES. But the card has different adapters (smaller MHF4 instead of larger Hirose U.FL) for the antenna cables. So I had to order two cables with the correct adapter. My plan is to cut the two existing cables near the connectors and solder the two new cables to the old ones and connect everything. This way I won’t detach the original cables from the ARIES cabinet.
@Xuanqian: any recommendation? How important is the cable length? Should it be similar to the original one?
BTW: in the meantime I am using the ARIES wired, with the new wifi card, without the antenna cables. Everything is working.
I will post the results with the cables.
Cheers
Marco

1 Like

WOW! This is different from replacing the WiFi card with a new one of the same kind.
The ARIES runs a lot cooler (10°C less on the upper cabinet?), sounds a lot better (this was unexpected) and doesn’t present all the common problems (need to reset a few times every day, startup problems, drops when using Exact clock, …). This for 3 days now.
This is the first time in years that I really love my ARIES. It started to malfunction a few months after I bought it and changing the WiFi card with a new 7260HMV was like a “temporary” patch (I bought 3(!) 7260HMV) that worked for just a few weeks every time.
This looks like a definitive solution because I always suspected heat (even in standby!) was the problem.
But only time will tell.
If, in a few months, the ARIES won’t malfunction again, I will publish a complete guide to replace the WiFi with an 8260NGW.
BTW: now I am connected via 5GHz WiFi.
Cheers
Marco

4 Likes

Antennas cable length is not important as long as they are well shielded. They can be longer or short and it wont affect signal quality.

Great job and we look forward to the video explaining step by step replacement.:grin:

@mdr so how is the new WiFi card working out? I would love to see a video step by step instruction of how to do this. Thank you.

The new WiFi card is great, for now. No more problems. I will wait a few weeks to confirm that it will not degrade with time.
A step by step video is too much work :joy:
But I will publish a simple “how to do it”. OK?
Cheers

Sounds good. How is the temperature?

About 10°C less than before, really cool

1 Like

@Mimowery
I am working on it. This is my first draft.

This is to everyone that has an ARIES and has reliability problems:

• Need to reset a few times every day
  • ARIES cannot find the USB interface with the DAC (I have a VEGA)
  • Runs very hot, even in standby
  • WiFi connection lost a few times a day
  • Stuck in “starting mode”
  • Need to physically switch off the ARIES
  • Restart while playing

All these things starting happening for me after a few months of normal use. The distributor was very kind and gave me a new ARIES. After a few months the same problem started to appear. So, I did my searches and, thanks to this support site, I tried different things:

• Use the 2.4GHz WiFi, not the 5GHz (it works a little better, but still a lot of problems)
  • Use the ARIES wired (same thing, a little better but not enough)
  • Replace the Intel 7260HNMV WiFi card (this solution is better and lasts for a few weeks; after that the problems start to show again; I changed the WiFi Card three times)

The problem is the Intel7260NHW. This card has a design flaw and, when used in the ARIES, runs very hot and, somehow, deteriorates with time.

I really love how the ARIES and the VEGA sound so, before throwing in the towel and find an alternative I decided to go deeper. On the support site I found that the ARIES firmware has drivers for the new Intel model: 7265NGW, and 8260NGW. The problem is that these cards are not PCIe but use the newer bus format M.2. And the antenna connectors are MHF4 instead of U.FL.

So, I found an adapter from M.2 to PCIe and replacement antenna cables. And I bought an Intel 8260NGW. Replacing the card is easy: remove the white sticky pad under the ARIES, unscrew the 12 screws, remove the upper part of the ARIES cabinet. There are two more screws to unlock the WiFi card. Than just insert the 8260NGW in the adapter and use the new antenna cables provided with the adapter (here I chose instead to cut the wires near the plugs and did a little soldering).

WOW! The ARIES runs a lot cooler now (10°C less on the upper cabinet), sounds a lot better (this was unexpected) and doesn’t present all the usual problems. Even the Exact Clock works fine now. This is the first time in years that I really love my ARIES! I am connected through the 5GHz WiFi.

You will need these two things:

3 Likes

can you explain more clearly why you choose to cut the wires and solder? Is this necessary? I was good up until this point. lol

Well, the cables provided with the adapter can be used as an extension but the plugs are a little flimsy. So I decided to cut the original cables and the extension cables near the plugs, solder the wires and isolate them with heat shrink sleeves.

I will pass on that step and see what happens.

Great! Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

This is the ARIES connection speed with the Intel 8260NGW

I see that in August, 2019 when this was posted, one needed the NGFF card with a PCIe adapter. Looking on Amazon in Feb. of 2020, I see a number of native PCIe cards that appear to have the same 8260 number. Can any of the current PCIe cards be used directly sans adapter?

The problem is that the ARIES firmware must have a driver for the network card.
Xuanqian says that the firmware has drivers for 7265NGW and 8260NGW, both M.2. BTW: all Intel WiFi card after the 7260 are M.2.
But the adapter is cheap and easy to install, so I don’t see what’s the problem. The antenna extension cable are included.

Hi guys I’m have the same issue with my LE, it’s gotten so bad last month or so. I email auralic and they said to try it wired if I’m using it with roon mostly. Well for last week I’ve been doing that but again today the issue is still happening. I’ve also had ordered the adapter and new WiFi card hope it helps. Does anyone know if this problem normally still happens with wires connections? Should I try to get auralic involved or do the WiFi card replacement first?

Yes, it happens.
Please read this post for a solution.
Auralic can’t help you. Just replace the WiFiCard with an Intel8260NGW.