Aries Femto is freezing up

After many months of trouble free operation, my Aries (original Aries) has started freezing up at random intervals. I am running Firmware 5.8, connecting wirelessly to my home network, pulling music files off a NAS and Tidal. The freezes can happen when I am playing music or when the machine is idle. When they happen the display still shows place in the playlist (eg. 5/7) and the position within the current file, but Lightning DS shows “no device”. If I try to shut the machine down with the remote, nothing happens. I have to pull the power cord out of the back to get it to reset. So far this has always worked. Then it will play again for minutes or hours or even days. Then it freezes again. As far as I know nothing has changed in my home network. Any idea what might be the problem?

1 Like

I had pretty much the same challenge even post a replacement WiFi card being fitted. Switched to a wired connection and the problem went away.

Sounds like a defect with the WiFi card

Thanks for the input. I went to Microcenter yesterday and got a TPLink wi-fi range extender with an ethernet port on the bottom. So, for now, I’m bypassing the internal wi-fi card in the Aries. So far, so good. (Our router is on the second floor and the stereo is in the basement, so just running an ethernet cable the whole way is not practical.)

I have the excact same problem. It is soo ignoring that I have to reset the Aires sometimes 6 times a day. I am already looking for another streaming device. Tcatch, did your solution work…? It seems like that it is something software failure in the aries, as when it freeze it is not possible just to turn it off via the remote. You really have to reset it or powered it off.
This is driving me crazy…
Best regards Peter

Yes. It did work. I do occasionally have to pull the plug on the Aries to get it to work properly (after a power failure, for example), but now it’s more like once a month, not multiple times a day.

If you have a original Aries (Femto or LE) did you already changed the Wifi card ?

I changed the WiFi card on my Aries Femto very easily. No more aggravation. My guess the heat that the Aries generates can affect the WiFi card over time. I have a low powered mini fan keeping the Aries running cool.

Is this the card.? Is it recommended that I change it…? And is it ok to buy one from ebay or where.? I have read your recommondation in other treads and i should maybe do that.

Yes that’s it. Click on the thread below for installation

But this pics show the aries inside. The wireless adaptor seems to be different…?? Or is it just me.?

That is a professional picture taken for marketing and was probably the first generation or just a proto type. Trust my advice above. Anyways all you have to do is follow my Instructions and open your Aries to see for yourself. Your DLS app also displays which model WiFi is installed in your Aries.

OK. Tiptop. Thanks…item allready ordred. Hope this works.

1 Like

Keep us informed of your progress

Early production model (before October 2014) use 802.11n WiFi module which is showing in the picture. We quickly switched to Intel 7260HMW for 802.11ac support after October 2014.

1 Like

Still waiting for the Intel wireless adaptor. But just pluged in the wifi cable directly to the aries and everything is just working without any trubles. So problems are really related to the wifi…either the intel card or my wireless router…
But hopefully soon the intel card will arrive…

1 Like

@oeglen That is a good sign! Same thing was true in my case as well. Once I replaced the WiFi card I had a new Aries and now I am happy with no issues.