A Question For Experts With SMB File Shares

My Aries Femto’s music library is mainly on USB drives attached to an iMac.

However, I have a really old PC with about 2 Tb of hard disc space which I also use as a library via SMB network sharing.

Whenever I do a library scan, the PC portion scans much faster than the Mac portion even though the Mac has a much faster processor and a lot more RAM.

The drives are basically all WD with the same speed and size.

Is there a reason why the PC SMB network shares are scanned much faster?

Hello, on Linux type os, SMB is not the best protocol. To say thing simple, it try to mimic the native protocol of Windows for compatibility between OS (reverse engineering job).
This is why SMB is faster on windows than on Linux.

On the other hand, with NFS, it’s the opposite :slight_smile:

There is some optimizations with Mac OS for SMB : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926

But SMB/CIFS are slower on MAC, it’s due to software implementation/limitations.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

So why does Auralic who seem to advocate using a Mac platform adopt SMB network file shares for their libraries?

Because AFP no more exist (it still exist but it’s not supported anymore) in MacOS.

SMB is a standard protocol for Windows and Macos natively, so Auralic products can works with the both os easily. smb/cifs is a standard, a wide used one by industry and home network products.

For compatibility, it’s a good choice to use SMB for network product. NFS need stuff installed on windows to works.

Thanks again.

Is it safe to do the steps listed on the Apple site for turning off packet signing

On macOS

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing.
Clear the File Sharing checkbox, then close the Sharing pane.
In Terminal, use this command:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired -bool FALSE
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing.
Select the File Sharing checkbox, then close the Sharing pane.

Does it affect anything else or may it cause instability in the running of Catalina?

Normally no, it’s only affect SMB connections. You can try, but i’m not sure that the performance will increase by a factor 10x … It will be better but not in a tremendous way.